When did you take your baby's bottle away?

Did you go cold turkey or wean him/her off slowly?

EverydayMomma

Asked by EverydayMomma at 1:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DD was about 14 months - we weaned her, she stopped using it for the most part at 11 months, except for water at bed time (she used it as a soothing mechanism more than anything else).
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Slowly, from the time she was about 10 months old. She was eating mostly solid foods and had weaned from nursing, so I started putting her formula in a sippy cup and she only got bottles at bed time. It was a great choice because she just didn't have time to be held and rocked at every feeding, being the busy little bee that she was! As long as the amount is the same, it doesn't really matter how they get it.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• When WIC stopped giving us formula at a year old I refused to let my son have anything but water in his bottle. After a week or two he stopped using it on his own. We actually went camping for the weekend and he was using it so infrequently I actually forgot to pack them so we got back home I just threw them all away.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• weaned them off slowly, but not too slowly around 11mths.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 2:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I took my sons bottle away when he turned 1, it could cause bottle raught, and they can get to attatched, which it will make it harder to take away.
    Anne943

Answer by Anne943 at 2:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• First son; first birthday. He had been drinking from a cuppy since 9 months; so it wasn't too hard.

Second child: 15 months. Daddy kept giving him a bottle even though he drank from a cup. So one day Daddy came home and the bottles were gone. Son only cried for it when he saw Daddy for about 2 weeks after I threw them out.

Daughter: 18 months. She would not go to sleep without it even though she had a cup during the day. She was the hardest. She would scream for hours and not go to sleep. Finally one day she simply fell asleep using the cuppy; after finding one she liked. It ended up being one with a soft rubber top like the bottle that she had to suck on to drink from.
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 3:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• DS got weaned off at about a year old, let him use it for nap and bedtime then slowly switched to the cup. DD never liked the bottle unless she absolutely had to use one so it wasn't hard to wean her from it. Start with the soft spout its easier for them to learn on then the hard plastic ones.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• 12 months
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i weaned off slowly, but I think he was just almost 13 months when I did. It' was easy he was showing me he was ready.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• my son is 3 months old i know hes young but his dr put him on baby cereal cuz the formula wasnt enough and we have started on some veggies so now he only uses the bottle really at lunchtime and he likes to use it as a sleep aid without drinking the formula..wastes a lot of it too lol
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011