• In the Spotlight:

Is it possible to ever make a depressed person happy? Is it worth it?

He has his good days where he is loving and he has his bad days where he doesn't want to even talk to me because he is so depressed and down or ends up being mean and negative the whole time we talk. He has been like this for awhile now and comes over when he is up for it and doesn't when he is not.

ProudMom_5703

Asked by ProudMom_5703 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • It sounds like he needs help, and that is always worth it. Has he tried talking to a doctor or therapist? Sometimes depression isn't just a matter of being happy or unhappy - its not that simple.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• A depressed person hears what you are saying but in thier mind they really don't believe you. They feel you are just saying things to make them feel better and it doesn't work. A trully depressed person needs help. Trust me, I've been there. They could get so low as to being suicidal without the proper help. Most of them are screaming for help but just not in a language that you would understand.
    Anonymous

• I went through postpartum depression so maybe that's why I think he really does need you at times like these. I know how it feels not wanting to talk and whatever my hubby says I just either stay quiet or I snap at him. But you should also tell him that it hurts you whenever he's down and has to make you feel bad too.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 1:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The only thing I can compare it to is when I was in high school. There was this girl in my class who was always depressed. She wouldn't talk to anyone. So one day I made a "happy book" for her. It was computer paper I stapled together and drew cute pictures on and wrote cute things to her. I left it on her desk one day and the next day she came to me in tears. She had been planning to kill herself and my happy book was the only thing that kept her from doing it. I don't know how that helps but I think it IS worth it to make them happy...
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have tried my hardest to make him happy. I even asked if maybe we should just be friends. I could be there for him but at the same time we can move on with our lives. I know that this is probably rude but I don't want someone like that in my sons life. I don't want my son to see that and grow up doing it himself.

Don't get me wrong. I want to be with him and make him happy but soon enough his depression is gonna start bringing me down too because it effects me and our relationship.

I just want to know that me trying to make him happy and the effort that I am putting into this is going to make him happy and is worth it.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• OMG Marlye that story touched me! aww you prevented a suicide! gosh I would never have thought of doing that for somebody like that in high school.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 2:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008