What is your 11 yr old like?

Mine has some really special traits, is very intelligent, & creative. Her newest phase is the tough part. She is recently mouthy & defiant, rarely doing what she is supposed to be doing until the last minute, then some how it's my fault. Grr I can't wait for this phase to pass, I know it will, it did with my 14 yr old.

1northwestmom

Asked by 1northwestmom at 2:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• She is athletic, kind to animals even bugs and a peach a lot of times to even her parents. lol We are going through this STAGE too. It started when she was 11 and she's almost 13 now and it's gotten better at times then flares again. She always has to have the last word and is sarcastic. It's good ol' hormones but it's a royal pain. Some kids are worse than others. Sounds like we have ones who are WORSE. LOL
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My DD just turned 12, and is very much the same way--she has great traits like being quirky, unique, friendly, and empathetic--but OH THE MOUTH!! I really detested this mouthy phase, but I too have an older DD (she's 15) and I know it will pass, so I try to stick to my guns, demand respect or I don't listen, and keep tamping away at the bad behavior.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My daughter was somewhat bratty when she was 11 and 12. She's sixteen now and has turned into an easy-going, agreeable teen. When she was in her bratty stage, I got strict with her. If she was mouthy and defiant she wouldn't get driven to a friend's or would be denied some other priviledge. She learned that she needed to talk to her father and I with respect or there would be definite consequences.
    cege

Answer by cege at 12:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My oldest just turned 11 a couple weeks ago. She's the same as she's always been--defiant, mouthy, know-it-all, bratty. She's had behavior problems since she was 3 that have progressively gotten worse over the years. Although since we moved to this house last summer (a month or so after she turned 10) she mellowed some. She's still super lazy and whiny but the screaming fits and tantrums have lessened (she throws a tantrum worse than any 2yo I've seen, none of my other kids acted like that even when they were toddlers).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2011