Spanking a 3 1/2 year old....

I need any advice or opinions.... My son, well he is 3 1/2 and is very smart for his age! He is fully potty trained, talks like a kid, and acts and behaves like hes older! Well spanking with my hand doesnt work anymore, because i either spank too light or I hit my hand too hard and ineffectively on his butt! If using a belt only in special circumstances is what works for him, is it considered child abuse if he isnt bruised or beaten with it and knows he got a spanking for something bad??????????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh i garuntee someone on here will say yes. but i spank my eldest whos fixing to be 4 with a paddle because the hand doesnt work. granted it isnt for every little thing. i rather use the corner or time out or go to bed or something like that first but i will spank with paddle if he doesnt want to behave in a manner that is appropriate.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 2:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Imo no not abuse
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Really? A belt for a 3 year old? What does he do that warrants anything of the sort? II spanked my kids when it was really necessary to make that extra impact, but stick with the hand and try to teach your child with more positive ways.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No it is not abuse! I try not to spank, but when I do, it is usually with a paddle. I rarely use it, but my kids do mind better knowing that "Mr. Cheeky" is on hand and ready to be used.
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 3:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Um yes a 3 year old, the scenerio from a few nights back, is that I laid him in his bed at a decent time, he had not had a nap that day so i knew that he was tired. I tell him do not get out of bed for anything unless you have to go potty or are thirsty. We are living in a one bedroom apt until november so we share a room. this isnt the first time it has happened needless to say so he knew better... but he got out of bed and was writing on the wall with my make up! he knows better first and foremost, because like i said, hes smart and ive raised him to know what is and what isnt acceptable! So being that it was too late to put him in time out for and waiting until the next day wouldnt have done any good, i spanked him with my cloth belt and that was it... he went straight to sleep after that with no problems! So yes i did spank a 3 year old with a belt. He will be 4 soon enough!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Im not shocked any-more by what I read of CM and by what people feel is appropriate punishment/disciple for children, but I just dont see how a child so young needs to be spanked with an object. I dont think that even a 10 minute time out would have made a big difference to time. Im not saying your son should be punished for drawing on the wall. I just dont feel spanking him with a belt was the way to go.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 13, 2011