Hardest part about doing laundry...

My husband always tells me that laundry does itself so I should be able to maintain more than just a few things daily. SOMEONE has to put the laundry in the washer...someone has to turn it on, fill it with detergents and what nots. Someone also has to pull them out of the washer and into the dryer...turn dryer on and so forth, but I guess he just doesn't get that.

We have a total of 6 people in this house. We have mounds of laundry (in process of parting with all the tattered and unfitting clothes. Got me thinking about the hardest part of doing laundry. Is it the having to wash it....or having to get up to transfer the items to the dryer? Maybe it's the folding from when the laundry is done? Or the task of just simply separating clothes and having it put away?

For me...as much as laundry (or loading the dishwasher) seems to be easy enough...the challenge for me is always putting it away. Folding is a nightmare, but the simple task of clearing the space to make room for the fresh load coming after the one that needs to get put away. Granted, I'm a procrastinator, but with my kids being lazy about putting their clothes away...I need to change my habits so they can change theirs.

What would you consider the hardest part about doing laundry?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 2:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• The folding part, I hate it!!! With a passion!!! 5 people's clothes, plus those itty bitty baby outfits, and pairing socks don't even get me started on that!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree. Putting it away. Folding, Hanging. Ugh! What a nightmare. It's all just dirty in two days again.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Folding! I hate it. I will let clean laundry pile up til there is a good show on tv, or a I have a movie to watch while doing it. And there is only 3 of us! but DH wears 3 pairs of clothes a day!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I hate ironing. (Hang dry a lot of my shirts to avoid them shrinking, and the washer mega-wrinkles them - ugh!)

Yeah, I do laundry for 3 and it takes the better part of 2 days, just for clothes. Towels and sheets I do on other days. DS is learning to do his own , and has already been folding and putting away his own clothes for about a year or so now I think. If I lay out DH's clothes on the bed he just transfers them to the dresser and back until I take care of them. *rolls eyes*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I wash it, dry it, fold it, and put everyone's pile on the couch for them to take upstairs with them (Washer is in basement, and bedrooms are on 2nd n 3rd floors), so I am not running 3 flights of stairs multiple times.
    Mine is gone and put away... everyone else's is still sitting here. UGH
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• We do not have a dryer, and cant afford to take our clothing to a laundromat... so hardest thing for us is getting clothes dry during the winter season.

I often run outside and hang the washing up, then watch the weather like a hawk so as soon as drops of rain start I am out there getting it back inside and then wait for another break in the rain to re-hang it up again, sometimes I have to do this multiple times a day.

OR we turn on the dehumidifier in my daughters room, and hand the clothes up in there for the dehumidifier to slowly suck out the water lol

Collecting dirty washing and putting in the machine is the EASY part!!!
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 4:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Folding and hanging up is definitely the worst part of the chore.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I actually love to do laundry. The thing I dislike the most is when the kids don't put it away and then throw it in the dirty pile again!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Folding and putting away! I hate it! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You should let him do the laundry once! It's a big task if you ask me, and for all the same reasons you just mentioned in your post. It's time consuming wating on loads to switch,it can take hours to finish all the laundry. In fact, one whole day of mine is devoted to just laundry.  The worst part for me is putting away.  All the sorting and socks etc.   I did atleast get my family to use their hampers and to also turn their socks right side out for me....I told them I refuse to stand and turn dirty smelly socks right side out before washing and if they didn't...I will throw them away or they will stay in the hamper FOREVER.   So, that did help with the socks part.   I went through every piece of clothing in this house a year ago & gave tons to donate.  It helped SO MUCH around here.   Basically, just what you're doing OP. 

KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011