How do i dicipline a 4 yr old

My 4 yr old son is getting so bad, he doesnt really listen anymore, he gets really angry, hits a lot and screams, he is really hyper too i dont know what to do anymore! Like tonight he just broke our new 37in flat screen today that we havet even had for 2 months, by takin a bat and throwing it at it twice, we have tried spankings, time outs, and talking to him he doesnt react to anything and ingnores us. Please hep me out!

Anne943

Asked by Anne943 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First off all, be consistent with your punishment's. If a four year old is able to say, "hmm, im gonna disobey mommy and I might get away with it" that is a big no no. Give him rules, even if they are the basic "no hitting, no rough housing inside," make sure he knows that there are consequences to his wrong behavior. Second, if you tell him he is gonna get into trouble if he does something, and he does it, make sure you discipline! If you tell him he will get a spanking for slapping his dad, and you don't spank him when it happens, he will never take you seriously! Third, don't play good guy, bad guy. Don't use daddy or uncle jimmy as a threat if he causes trouble. If he disobey's while he is in your care, make sure you discipline him, cause then he will know that you mean business. This is the best advice I can give you. Good luck!!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Also, if you are already doing these things, there maybe something deeper going on and you should talk to his pediatrician :)
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 3:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree with the first reply. I have a 4 year old as well, but we started teaching him young, like before he got of the bottle (which was at 6 months) that some things are not ok. I am not a yeller so when I do yell or get mad it hurts his feelings. We also give him responsibilities, he has to have his room clean before he goes to bed. He helps dust with a wet rag when I clean house, and he has to throw away his own trash, help me get his own food for meals, (not hot meals), and put away his own plate.
    I know this doesn't help much now that your son is like this. But I just wanted to tell you that the consistency is how all of this happened. I never stopped doing what I was doing and I have a wonderful son now. If he decides to do something bad (rare but happens) he will be grounded to one spot not near anyone or any toys for usually 30 mintues depending on the punishment and he has to tell us why he was in there.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 3:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Oh and I agree with the second reply, my niece was doing bad stuff all the time and wouldn't listen and everything and she had add. Not saying your son does but she does. Something to think about.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 3:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Also, when he's throwing a fit - try holding him, it's hard but try to hold him (arms at his side) until he calms himself! Stay consistent and put your foot down, don't let him run all over you or it will only get worse and worse! Good luck and prayers to you!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Try time-ins rather than time-outs. Pick him up, sit and hold until he calms himself. We usually move to another room and rock. Sounds like it isn't discipline, but it is - teaches them to be calm. Once calm, DD must apologize for her actions then we have a very brief discussion of what better behavior would look like.

If that doesn't work, talk to your ped or a good child therapist. There may be larger issues going on.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011