How does selling avon work?

Well im debating if i should sign up to become an avon Representative but im not sure yet, i have no experience what so ever, seems fun and something i think i will like doing. has anybody done this? How was your experience selling avon? How did that work out for you? what do i do? Was it worth it? I might sign up but im not fully sure yet

NatalieMommy909

Asked by NatalieMommy909 at 3:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• There's probably 6 other girls on your block selling Avon. Ask them.
    Look for something that is NOT in your area and you will have more success... Trust me.

Anne Rehrig
    PartyGals Romance Parties- Top Ten Sales Consultant
    Scentsy Wickless Candles- Director
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I sold Avon for awhile, it didn't go well. There are so many other reps and you don't earn much. I'd say stay clear and see if you can find something else. I'm a distributor for Mia Bella's and I'm the ONLY rep around here so that makes the market all mine. Good luck in your search!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't know how AVON specifically works, but the basic idea of direct sales is that you are paid a commission based on your sales. The company spends money on their consultants rather than on media advertising.

There is often lots of talk about saturation of consultants regardless of the direct sales company. The reason most companies don't release figures of how many consultants are in an area is because the number doesn't matter. There might be 20 consultants in a given area, but only five might be working their business consistently. And since there are no territories, it doesn't really matter how many other consultants are near you.

My suggestion would be to find a current representative, and ask them to explain the pay structure to you. Also ask about what kind of expenses you might expect. How much will you have to pay for catalogs and samples etc?
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 11:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I was with Avon for years. It's tough because so many ladies already sell it, there were 3 reps on my street alone. But Avon uses "campaigns" each campaign lasts 2 weeks. You buy brochures to give out to people.....I would canvass the neighborhood (putting them in the door knob bags and hanging off door knobs), give to current customers and leave in businesses. I would get 200-500 brochures a campaign. I also wore a t-shirt and carried a tote bag that said I sold Avon and to ask for a free brochure and samples. I had car decals and did events. I worked it like crazy and even had ideas published in the newsletter Avon puts out each campaign for their reps. Yet I didn't make a heck of a lot. After paying for the brochures, samples, bags, labels for the brochures, demos, etc etc I KEPT sometimes as little as $5 a campaign. I think they most I ever kept after expenses was about $100
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Like Noorak mentions the reps in my area, didn't canvass, didn't hold large events like I did, didn't do things I did....so if me doing all that and being consistant but putting so much back into the business still didn't result in huge earnings then they either have a smaller consistant clientele list and didn't bother with the higher expenses or they are mostly personal shoppers and not making much if anything.

Key is to get a large downline and help them in their selling so you get residual earnings and earnings each campaign based on that and bonuses. I was a unit leader but the orders my downline placed were very small because like so many others they didn't work it the way I did!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• check around if your friends and family will buy, and you could find a few outside people to buy it could work out great .. its not going to make u full time income most likely but some spending money and discount on products
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I personally went with Scentsy rather than Avon. I do think Avon is a great company. You would have to be to last over 100 years. The reason I did not go with it is for the fact that it has been around that long. It's one of the businesses that 'everyone and their mother sells'.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 7:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/  

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products. 

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I was with Avon before I truthfully didn't like it all to many people do it and you don't get much back in commissions. I found something 1000 times better and I dont have to worry about invontory or selling.So ya thats my opinon and heres a bump for you. 

MaryCEOmom

Answer by MaryCEOmom at 5:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011