If you do not believe in any sort of god, . . .

do you think you would still pray if you or your loved ones were in a life threatening situation?

Womamhood

Asked by Womamhood at 5:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• of course...praying to me is releasing whatever is bothering me into the atmosphere/space, it feels good to let whatever problem just float away.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No, but I do think of them often and hope they get better.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No, but I would probably attempt to stay positive and I would meditate in hopes that it will help me remain calm in the situation, try to let go of the fear, anger, and sorrow that usually comes with tragedy and loss, and ACCEPT whatever is happening as part of life. Knowing myself, this probably wouldn't come easily at first, but with time and reflection I would get through it. Depending on the specific circumstances and whether I could actually do anything about it, meditation might help me reach some kind of clarity or calm my mind enough to think of ways to actually help them in their situation as well. Personally, I believe God is a metaphor for our feelings about the Universe and Nature, but I don't believe in any personal, anthropomorphic deity to pray to, but I don't see anything wrong with people praying if it helps them in some way.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No. I'd try to think positively, stay calm and do what needed to be done. I think praying is a big, fat waste of time.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No for me it would be a waste. I do not believe in a god so who would I even pray to?
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No there would be no point in it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No. What would be the point?

Prayer is a waste of energy which could be applied to doing USEFUL things.

When a loved on is ill, they are often in my thoughts- but it is my actions (accommodating needs) that make a difference, not my hopes for their recovery.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Prayer is a waste of energy which could be applied to doing USEFUL things. [obby]

How is it a "waste of energy"? I'm curious. 

Prayer is a way of focusing of positive thoughts/energies towards or for the sick/ailing person, so how is that a bad thing? There is no need of a god/goddess to "pray". 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:42 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• SpiritedWitch- Have you ever heard the saying "Actions speak louder than words" ? The same applies to prayer. Two hands working are much more powerful than two hands clasped in prayer.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011