Is T.V. bad for children under a year old??

If so, do you know of any web site to go to and read up on it?

porterjoshua06

Asked by porterjoshua06 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The American Academy of Pediatrics says no TV for children under 2. I also read that it can contribute to things like ADHD. If you're interested let me know and I'll dig up that article. :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Studies say yes. They say it hinders brain development. But my pedi says its okay to use it to distract the baby for a few minutes while you load the dishwasher, answer the phone or run to the bathroom.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 1:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't think so, as long as you don't stick your child in front of the tv all day long. An hour for sesame street or another educational program or cartoon is fine.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't think it is bad i let my 4 month old watch baby einstein movies the are appropriate for her age. the have different ones for different age groups. we also dont have cable but if we are somewhere where there is t.v she just looks at but she is more interested in the people around her.
    Anonymous

• I do not think it is. I think that if you leave your child in front of the TV for an extended period of time and you never interact with them, then yes it might be bad.

I believe you need to find a balance between TV watching and doing other things.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Not at all. My two year old watching tv all the time. She is only allowed to watch educational shows that teach her numbers and letters and things. I have found it helps a lot with her speaking and she seems really smart now. She knows things I didnt know she did. I dont let her watch other cartoons that dont teach her anyhthing like spongebob or smurfs or the others that arent educational. She rarely watching disney movies because they dont teach her and she would rather the educational anyway.
    Anonymous

• What GreekMama28 says doesnt really fit for a under 1 year old baby!

A child (baby!!!!) does not need a TV.. AT ALL!.. if you dont have enough time for your child, then get a babysitter/nanny, but not a tv please.

I grew up getting taught things from my parents. and i dare to say that im smart. TV for kids will slow down their brain development.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• do you guys realize she is asking about a baby that is not even 1 year old?!

She should be the one teaching the child things with toys and what else they got. TV is for babies is for lazy parents that cant afford a decent babysitter.

if that hurts your feelings, then im sorry. but thats just how it is.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• personally, I don't like it! We have never let our kids watch TV (although now that our oldest is almost three, he does get to rent a movie once in a while for a family movie night with mom and dad!)

I stuck to the AAP recommendation of no TV under age two. Once you go the first two years without TV, you realize that there is no point in introducing it at all. There are so many healthier, creative, active games and activities to do with little ones. TV is just not as stimulating.
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 2:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I hope that its not. Mason watches Baby Einstein in the mornings while I get ready for work.
    Tracz99

Answer by Tracz99 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2008