Switching Doctor's need advice

I have a disease and have been being treated by a specialist. I was on Medicaid, I lost my insurance and now have no insurance. My income is *just* a nitch above Medicaid guidelines. I have Medicare but it won't kick in until October.

My specialist has seen me for free for the last 3 times I was a patient. I was so very grateful as that is unheard of.

However, his bedside manner sucks. He hands me a bag of inhalers, medicines, *assumes* because I was on the inhaler, I don't know let's say ten years ago (according to medical records he has of mine), that I know how to use the inhaler and when I ask he has bad bedside manner! My boyfriend even said the dr. treated me like an a$$hole but he can't be that bad for seeing me for nothing, I'm very grateful to him but I'm not happy with him. I'd rather pay and have offered him money as well to be seen by a doctor who has nice bedside manner.

I want to switch doctor's to another practice without offending him which I know I will be. Help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• It's your health that is paramount here. Don't worry about offending him, you need to see a doctor that you like and feel comfortable with. Good Luck

meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You could just go ahead and switch doctors without telling your former doctor of any decisions that you've made. Once you find a new doctor you should request a copy of your old medical records to be mailed to the new doctor. I don't think that your former doctor would mind.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Your health is more important than hurting anyone's feelings. You switch.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree that you should just make the switch without telling him. Then request the records from your old doctor after you switch. He will most likely never know because he doesn't handle the records, someone else in the office does. No need to tell him at all, imo.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• So get a copy of your records, and switch doctors.

Medicine is a consumer good...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2011