Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hurting myself in long run

I decided to put my kids in a private school three years ago. It wasn't a big deal because my ex's child support basiclly paid tuition. The past year and a half he hasn't paid a dime od support. So, I was wondering, sense I've scrapped by and continue to pay tuition on my own. Can they use this against me? Saying I don't need child support? My ex can reduce the amount he owes due to my struggles with giving our kids a better education?
I guess, I'm asking if I choice to continue to go without material things to put my kids in a private school can this be used against me in some way so he won't have to pay child support, later?
Him saying I oviousely didn't need child support. I kept the kids in a private school.


Asked by SassySue123 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 23 (15,231 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • If you have a child support in order, make sure you stay on top of when he hits felony non support and they will bring him back to face jail time here. In the mean time, they should be able to set up an interstate case, because he will have to give his social security number at his next job and they cross reference these things!

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • why have you not reported him for not paying?

    Answer by samurai_chica at 7:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Child support, at least in TX is based on the parent's income, not what you spend. 20% for one child, 25% for two and 30% for more. I would contact the courts to report that he isn't paying and it is causing an undue burden on you and the children.

    Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Kustom is right, they won't fault you for scraping money together to do the best you can for your child. He needs to pay support, and I doubt they will lower it from where it is. At least in Michigan, if he is making the same amount he was, he will pay the same amount. Even if he has had more children, they do not reduce an existing order here. Also, here, if he isn't working, they wont just lower support...they will look at his last job, and assume that if he made that amount before, he is capable of working 40 hours at that rate again, and order support based on 40 hours a week at his last known pay rate.

    Courts don't like deadbeats.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • He has to pay no matter what it's not about what you can or can not afford it doesn't matter their his kids he has to pay, and if you have to show proof of the tightness in your budget putting them in priv school.

    Answer by 3angels23 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • I have reported it and I'm told they cannot find him...

    Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • They won't have him not pay CS just because you are putting them in private school. They wouldn't force him to pay a portion of the tuition for the school if he didn't agree to it (and you'd have to prove he did if he did agree), but they also wouldn't lower his obligation.

    Answer by laird6372 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • So, he doesn't see you kids? I think that you might be able to have him declared dead,,LOL! If he truly has just disappeared, then you might be able to get social securtiy for the kids. How old are you kids? I would really take a good long look at charter schools, and perhaps the younger ones could go there,, if you have a kiddo in high school, I wouldn't change that.

    Answer by kimigogo at 9:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Nope, I heard he left the state of Tx, I'm assuming running from child support. He has not even called the kids.

    Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2011