Anyone use a nipple shield to reduce milk flow?

My daughter started rejecting one breast because she can't keep up with the flow. I started using a nipple shield to help her and she's doing well with it. Just curious if anyone else has done this with success and how did your milk supply cope with the slightly different latch.

Camilletnt

Asked by Camilletnt at 7:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My milk supply was great with the shield, and it was great protection kept my nipples from getting sore, I BFd the longest when I had the shield! I thought it was awesome... GOOD LUCK
    3angels23

Answer by 3angels23 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i hear wonderful things about it but never tried it
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Sounds like overactive let down...and I have the same thing. She will pull away from the breast a few seconds after I let down, and there have been times that she has pulled off and I have literally been spraying milk out 8 or 10 inches away from my body. This has happened with all of my kids, and what I've done is pumped until let down and then once it was under control, then nursed. If you try it, don't pump too much or you will create an over supply. I usually offered what I pumped toward the end of their feeding so my body didn't get used to making enough for my baby AND the few ounces I would pump.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yes, I had to have a nipple shield the most of the time with breast feeding. I was told to stop it but I just didn't have the success with breastfeeding in the first place, I hope you have success!
    I say if it works go with it.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2011