Is your child participating in any summer reading programs?

We have programs running where children get prizes for reading (or being read to) throughout the summer. One is at our Early Years Centre and the other is through the library.

Do your children participate in these programs and where is it held? If there are no programs available, do you create your own reading incentives?

Nonoluna

Asked by Nonoluna at 8:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My son is participating in a summer reading program at our local library. When we check out books we get scratch off lottery-type tickets that could win an instant prize, such as coupons for ice cream cones, dum-dum suckers, bookmarks, ect. Then the cards all go into a drawing to be picked for other prizes. They even offer this summer reading program for adults, and I have won some delicious Hershey Treasures chocolates. My son is an avid reader on his own, but he really loves the scratch off tickets.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 8:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My kids used to do it every year, but they have aged out - it only runs through 5th grade and our youngest is going into 7th.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• We are :) It is through our library. He is 4, so it is reading to him and for his age (up to 7 I believe ) it is after 10 books they get a prize! I was so excited to see it at the beginning on the summer, we love reading!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My kids did it every year they could at the library. This year DD14 is helping with the summer reading program.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My three oldest are in a summer reading program. It's for ages 3+. They can either be read to or they can read on their own (2 of them are too little to read, so they are read to). They get really small toys (like a top) for every 5 hours of reading, and after 25 hours, they get a certificate and a t-shirt.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• no and shame on me i have not read to them in a while i have been so busy :( but i will get to it right away
    kymberleesmom

Answer by kymberleesmom at 12:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The only program around here is summer recreation and they do have a down time for reading only....
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011