Would You Be Offended?

If I came up to you and asked if your child has Down Syndrome when he/she does not would you be offended?

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 2:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think most people might. If the person asking the question has a child with Down's I would assume they were looking for support. It just should come off caring instead of nosey in order to not be rude.
    sadfairytale

Answer by sadfairytale at 6:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Oh, yes!
    Anonymous

• NO, I would not even worry about it. just maybe my child might look like a Down Syndrome Baby which if i had such a child i would love that baby immensely.so do not tak offense. some people may not know.
    AuntieVetta

Answer by AuntieVetta at 2:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I would be offended. Even if my child did have it, it is a rude question to ask. And who cares, it would be MY BABY and I would love him/her no matter what.
    Carebear38

Answer by Carebear38 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• If a stranger came up to me and asked such a question ..I would find that very rude. Regardless of whether or not my child had this diagnosis. I simply would state... NO! My child does not have anything wrong with him/her...do you? LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Yes, I don't think you should assume or ask that unless you are familiar with the person you ask. It is none of your business. Unless you are inolved with a support group where you are getting to know people I would not like it if you approached me and asked this. It is rude.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• That would be very inappropriate in most settings. Although you might be tempted to ask if her children suffer from the same social disfunction as she does, I believe it would be best to simply say excuse me and then walk away. I wouldn't even reply to such a question.
    ChattyWifePlus2

Answer by ChattyWifePlus2 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I would not be offended. There are many people in this world that are uneducated or just have zero tact. They can't help the way they are any more than a child with special needs. Look at it in a way to educate someone tactfully.
    Anonymous

• I think it's rude!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• No, I look at it as a learning experience! If I didn't have a child with DS the person that asked the question would watch their mouth better! and since my son does have DS I would be able to talk about it to that person so that they better understand what DS is.
    mylovebugluke

Answer by mylovebugluke at 3:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2008