Smelling stale... what do you use

With tmps into the 100's I can't air out my house. The dog has been inside because of the heat and it is just not smelling wonderful in my house right now. I have burned candle after candle. Used sprays, Lysol, PineSol, plug-ins of all sorts. Still smells, it just smells like stale air with a hint of dog and Lysol.

What do you use to make your house smell great? I have walked into other homes and they can smell so great. Mine does not. Our family scent just isn't terrific I guess. I don't want to cover it up I want to get some good smelling air. What can I do?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I put dryer sheets in my air ducts. You don't have to cover the whole vent and block airflow. I fold them and place them in one slot. My family loves when I put fresh ones in the vents. The temps are awful. Our humidity here is insane.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Thanks pookie!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• At walmart I purchased a wax warmer (Better Homes & Gardens) for $15 and lots of wax melts ($2 a 6-pack). I use one in the living room and it makes the house smell great. The initial warmer is a little high, but the wax melts are really cheap and they work wonders.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I use the plug in warmers from Bath and Body Works. There is a wide variety of scents available, and they keep my house smelling wonderful. Of course, I don't have a dog, so that could make a difference.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:19 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Wash the dog. That's step one. Then either wax warmers (like Scentsy) or candles, or febreeze (glade) room sprays and not lysol.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I use Glade carpet and room deodorizer in one of the following scents(they all work fantastic) all you do is sprinkle them on your carpet let them set for a few minutes and then vacuum--

***Berry Splash
    ***Clean Linen
    ***Country Garden
    ***French Vanilla
    ***Glade Tough Odor Solutions Clear Springs
    ***Glade Tough Odor Solutions Fresh Scent for Pet Odors---this one is really really good for tough pet odors
    ***Hawaiian Breeze

they are also available in Fabric & Air and solid air fresheners
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree...wash the dog. Then take good ol' baking soda and shake it on your rugs/carpet/upholstered furniture. Let it sit for....a while. 30 minutes at least. Vacuum. THEN use odor removers/cover ups.

Good luck!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 12:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yes, bath the dog more often.
    Arm & Hammer carpet deodorizer on carpets.
    and @ Pookiekins...omg, I thought I was the only one who put dryer sheets in vents, lol. I actually used the Bounce stick once but it didn't work as well so, i went back to Gain dryer sheets...they smell great.
    They also make special scents for your air filter but...I've never like the scents they use. They sell near the vent air filters...also, change out your air filter with a new clean one....I cover in baking soda sometimes, very carefully. I let baking soda sit on my mattresses, sofas, chairs for about cpl hours and then vacuum off. That's all I can think of.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• One more thing...I believe Oust is the best at actually "killing" smelly things in the air. I spray it in my a/c vent to suck it up and through the ventilation system. Gently...I don't go crazy with it but....it immediately goes into every room in house and kills air bacteria. IMO., it works great too!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Febreeze says ...if you spray your furnishings every day for 7 days they guarantee that odors will be gone.....I use the spray, not aerosol. I'm with you in that...I don't want to just cover up smells in my home....i want them GONE!
    That's all I have , again! Good Luck!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011