Have you ever rented rooms?

Have you ever rented out rooms in your house?
I have a friend's daughter that needs to get out of the house w/ her baby (and her baby's daddy) - see my question about CPS for details of the current living arrangements.
I have a spare room that is currently junked. It needs to be cleared and cannot be as yet as it is filled with things (like a toilet) that needs to be installed in other rooms that were damaged by the foundation cracking. Thus they cannot move in until September.
I have NO furniture for this room.
But what I have a question about is what rules are approparate for renters? I would like $200 a month (utilities) insist that they keep to MY level of cleanliness and chip in with the food. (they are on assistance) They must help with the yard care (shoveling snow, mowing) and walking the dog. One or both of them will HAVE to have a job or two. There will be no babysitting ( or if there is I will charge them and I will pay them -or remove the amount from the rent if they watch my daughter) and the TV and computers will be locked and the upstairs bedrooms will be off limits. No drugs, overnight visitors or parties.
They can also only stay for the duration of my husband's deployment. (1 year)
Does this seem a bit harsh? Both are just 21, do not have GEDs and cannot drive. There are some jobs in the area they can take if one is willing to work overnights & accept minimum wage.
Due to the cut in pay due to deployment in the reserves, I will be needing some monetary help, and I am looking for a job myself that will cover my DD's Pre-K (have three interviews lined up) as my business is is the process of being shut down. And I admit that it would be nice to have some adults to talk to, BUT I do not want to be taken advantage of, nor do I want to make it that they cannot save money and get an apartment in a year.
i am writing a contract out that they will notarize, but I want to make sure this isn't unfair.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• Honestly, I think it is a bad idea. If at least one of them had a job now, it might be different. I know you are wanting to help them but from your other post, it seems like they are not even helping themselves. They don't have to live in that condition. Both of them are adults and are capable of cleaning. I just think that once they move in, they are going to pull the same thing on you and then it will be hard to get them out.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have rented rooms before. Your rules seem very harsh and restrictive. They should pay rent...they should buy all their own food...no overnight visitors, no parties - this all sounds good. BUT - How much yard work? How much shoveling? and how and why would it be their responsibility to walk your dog?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have not read previous posts about this.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well the driveway is 7 pick-up trucks in length. When it snows we have to shovel it to get out. Seems fair that they would have to help out with that, watering twice a week (because they will be in the yard) help with the mowing ( i do it weekly. It is 3/4s of a acre). As for the dog walking, she has taken care of him before and if she is not working and staying home it seems fair to take him out to do his business if I am working a 10 hr day. He is litter trained, but having to change the litter for a 100lb dog vs taking him for a less than 10 minute stroll in our yard ( no fence-storm damage) once a day seems a better deal. esp with a small child crawling around.
    But if you think it is fair as long as they help with the shoveling I can still mow and water.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well, I read your first question, and 2 adults who don't work could clean the house and dispose of trash,, I wonder if she is really trying to get her son in a pre-K program or not? I don't think you should rent a room to these people, I think that you maybe could find a college student or a single woman to rent your room, and as far as the shoveling goes, perhaps you will have a light winter? I think bringing a couple and a child into your home is going to cause drama for your kids,,,and how much do you know about the guy she shack's up with? I would say very bad idea. I would offer to help clean up the house they live in now, and see what they say, it didn't get that way overnight, so they are either too lazy, or uncaring to clean it up.. RED FLAG, RED FLAG , momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• And you should call CPS if they don't make it a fit place for the boy to live.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I was hoping that getting three bodies out of that house would help with the general mess. And this girl(daughter) does the cleaning, but with no place to put stuff and being charged $3 per extra bag of trash things tend to pile up. ( thus the reason I grabbed all of the trash the last time I was over there.) and let's face it with that many people once you forget to put something away or throw the trash out it is a slippery slope. And the girl is looking for s job, but as her child is 1 daycare costs are about $300 a week and w/ no job experience or education all she can get is minimum wage. As for the baby daddy he is "smart" has ADHD and a sense of entitlement. He is good with his son & would be a great stay at home dad.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think you are right. As much as I would love to help it will just be too much. I'll clean the room out and see if I can find a college student or seasonal worker to rent it out for a semester or two. with out the yard work & dog walking $200 a month should be a steal. Especially since efficiencies around here cost $100 a week.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Be sure that you have a signed lease. Check with your local health department, to make sure that this is legal

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011