My daughter is 14mth and is napping 2x/day. At what age do they go to 1 nap/day and how will I know when she's ready to give up a nap?

coconyc1

Asked by coconyc1 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son just stopped taking a second nap during the day. And eventually he stopped taking a nap all together. I didn't try to "stop" him from napping at all.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Every child is different. My daughter was over 2 before quitting her 2nd nap of the. She'd be grumpy without it, but somedays she'd just sit in her bed for an hour and look at a book or play with her doll baby. Just follow her lead...when she starts staying awake more for her morning nap then you can try cutting back.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 2:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My daughter went to one nap at around 11 months. It's two hours.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You're child will let you know. She'll stop sleeping on her own. It will most likely be the am nap that goes.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Age has nothing to do with naps. Each child is different. You probably know the signs of a tired child by now. Believe me, your child will give you plenty of signals to let you know when it's time for the nap schedule to change.

Unless your child is a super early riser, it will most likely be the morning nap that is given up, and she will probably be ready for a nap shortly after lunch.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Most (but not all!) go down to one nap by 18 months. Mine did it at 14 months.

How do you know? She will happily take the morning nap and then refuse to take the afternoon one.
    When that happens, try to keep her up later in the morning, drop the second nap, and move bedtime up at least 1/2 hour. Over time, you will move nap time closer and closer to noon to 1pm (whatever works for her). Eventually, you will be able to move bedtime back too but remember, proper sleep is far more important than evening playtime or even eating with the family.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2008