Should I report to CPS ?

Hello mommies--this is what happened--My friend's sister-in-law--she has a history of bipolar & depression--stopped taking her meds for awhile,husband didn't know she did this till after, slashed her husbands tires then bucked their two children ages 3 years and 6 months old, in to her car and drove the car in to a tree. For some unknown reason, the boys were not taken to the ER--the husband took them out of the car and walked home with them and the wife was taken to the ER to be ammited to the psych ward. So my question is should I report this ? The husband is taking care of them now--I concerned about after she gets out if this will repeat this cycle of not taking meds, getting depressed and trying to hurt herself & her children. What would you do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could report it to CPS, just to make them aware of it. I wouldnt doubt it if they werent already involved those since she did it on purpose. If you feel in your heart that she would hurt them again when she got out, then yes call. But if the husband is ok with them and not physco i wouldnt call just yet
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No, it sounds like the husband is dealing with it just fine. What would be the goal, to have the babies taken away from dad too?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• have you talked it over with your friend? maybe she doesn't know that her sister in law's actions are affecting you. maybe you two can come up with a way to prevent this from happening again. but i know from watching my in laws, once someone with those med problems take themselves off their pills, the docs keep a very close eye on them.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The hospital would be required to report it, hopefully she will get straightend out and be back to her old self,, so no I would not report.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• okay I have a few other questions:
    one: if she drove it into a tree how did the husband know about it? Was it near him? Did she call him? Did the police inform him? Were the police at the scene at first, or not until after? Did HE have her committed or was her being committed part of the hospitals decision?

I ask because if the police notified the husband, then they already are aware of the situation and a report was probably already made against the mother.
    honestly, if not, then I would probably consult with the doctors at the hospital she's at and the police who are working the report rather than CPS. So long as the husband is not in danger of hurting them himself, there isn't a big reason to call CPS before the police and the police can handle the CPS end of it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• as for her straightening herself out, not going to happen. She obviously needs to be medicated and can't be relied on to take her medication all the time.. and when she doesn't she has NO remorse for her own life or that of her childrens lives.
    My ex tried to drive his car into the lake, it was night, and he didn't see the park bench behind the car right before the lake. It stopped him from driving into the lake. Thankfully my DD was at home with me and not in the car with him.. He now only has supervised visitations at times that I agree to. IT wasn't the first time he tried to commit suicide.. This was the third time since we were together. People in that situation don't just change. In my situation he never put the kids in danger, only himself. If she's putting the childrens lives at danger a report needs to be filed regardless, and someone needs to talk to her husband about possible restraining order
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Have tou talked to the husband? Sit down and talk with him. After that discussion then make your decision on whether to call or not. The situation may not be as black and white as you think. The husband may be taking steps you are not aware of.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i agree with xxhazeldovexx....i wouldnt call if the dad is capable of takeing care of them and his self..and if the cops were there 1st then cps was already involved...mayb you should talk to your friend about this a lil more or if you havent talked to her mayb you should...hopefully the hospital and her docs will keep a closer eye on her to make sure this never happens again
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2011