Are we part of a dying breed?

Virginia Heffernan, an NYT digital and pop culture writer sure thinks we are...

Many boards are stagnant or in decline, if they even still exist. Several once-thriving boards on the women’s site iVillage have closed up shop. Big fiction-fan boards haven’t seen real action in years. Last month, a once-popular eight-old-year British board about mental health went dark with a note: “The Internet has changed significantly.”

These are serious signs of the digital times. Message boards were key components of Web 1.0 — the Web before broadband, online video, social networking, advanced traffic analysis and the drive to monetize transformed it.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/remembrance-of-message-boards-past/?nl=opinion&emc=tya1

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 9:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in About CafeMom

• No, I don't believe that Cafe Mom will die out. I do think that individual groups within Cafe Mom die out. The members who were once active in a toddler group, move on to a preschooler group when their child matures. That toddler group becomes inactive, and new members are reluctant to join. So that toddler group may die out, only to be replaced by another group. I don't think that the need for internet chatting has changed at all. There's just so many more boards available now than before.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'm not sure what you're saying here but women will always need to talk and talk with other women who are where they are, doing what they are doing. This is anonymous for the most part so I don't see it becoming obsolete. I'm older though so maybe I'm out of the loop.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Answers does seem pretty slow lately. Then again it is summer around here. Everything looses it's luster after a while.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Could be but I don't think Cafe mom is bound for the trash heap
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011