Back to basics demanded by parents with children in Public School....

What's your opinion about parents demanding to get rid of juices and flavored milk so the schools can start serving bottled water only?
Do you sign the parents petition or tell them that they are crazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think bottled water should be available for the kids that want it.
    I don't care if my kids drink chocolate milk at school since it's the only time they get it. They don't drink milk or juice at home so it's not an issue for me. At home they only drink water. They like their milk treat at school every day (and my son always gets white milk, he prefers it over chocolate). But water should be easily available and not just from a water fountain for the kids that don't want to drink milk at lunch.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• If you want your child to drink white milk at school, tell your child to drink white milk, it is available to them. If your child doesn't follow that instruction, take it up with your child. Parents have the right to demand what they want for their child; they do not have the right to dictate what other children can have. Parents can demand the school offer the beverage they want their child to drink, not demand they only serve that beverage and no alternative. Everyone should parent only their own child.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 10:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Personally I am more concerned with the food being served. Chocolate milk and orange juice are nothing compared to chicken nuggets and ravioli.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• worry about your own kids and leave mine alone.......that needs to be the new theme song for schools...i'm so tired of one parent trying to push thier wants (yes wants) for thier kid on everyone elses kids......if you dont want your kid drinking the stuff the school serves (pack thier lunch) dont buy school food.....but leave the rest of us alone...we're not telling you how to parent your kid.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't really care if my childre have flavored milks, never been an issue for me
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I can see this from both sides..... If you want your kid to have that stuff than you can pack thier lunch. At the same time... If you don't want your kid to have it you can pack thier lunch! That being said... If your kids school is serving somthing you don't like or want for your child PACK THIER LUNCH. There is no reason to make a big deal about this! They are not serving poison! I think some parents just don't have real problems so they have to cause drama.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Parents have their right to demand what they want for their kids.

Answer by older at 10:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think kids will drink the sweetest drink available to them. I see zero reasons why the school district should be serving flavored milk and juices. If you want your child to drink the sugary stuff, send in it in the lunch boxes or serve it at home.
    We are a water/ white milk family. Well, we were until DD started kindergarten, now she drinks chocholate milk EVERY DAY.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would hope they'd still serve white milk.

My DD is not allowed to have juice or chocolate milk for lunch. We 're strict with watching our sugar intake. She can only have white milk or water. So, id probably sign it. All that sugar does not do a body good.

My DD will not drink the sweetest available, because she is not addicted to sugar like most kids are. She always goes for the less sweet things. She does not like super sweet anything....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I send my son a lunch to school so I don't care what the school does. I don't depend on the school to feed my child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2011