MIL scenario - what would your response be?

We are on a weeks vacation with my in-laws. They are paying for everything (if that changes your response). Last night we were eating at a Mexican place and they served chips/salsa/some weird shredded cabbage in a bowl. There are 2 of each. So I sprinkle salt on the cabbage in front of me.

My MIL says "You should ask first. Not everyone eats salt. That's yours now." Really? That's something I say to a damn kid, not another adult. That is only one of the million snide remarks I deal with from her while I "suck it up" and kiss her ass.

My husband and I were also talking about how our oldest will start HS at 6:30am (but the other 2 don't start until 8:30. So hubby says he'd bring the oldest and I said "promise?" and freaking MIL says "what, you don't like to get up at 6am?" Bitch, I DO get up at 6 but it's called co-parenting as a TEAM.

EDIT: I'm hearing you guys on the salt thing but it really was how she said it and the fact that she repeated it so everyone could hear like 4 times. I felt like a scolded baby. It was pretty funny tho because my hubby dumped salt on the chips like 30 seconds after that and she said nothing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• For the salt thing i would have said "cool, i get my own. Maybe i'll sprinkle salt over everything" Let that one roll off your back.

She is right though, you should always ask before putting salt on something everyone is sharing.

For the 6 AM thing, i would have said " Oh, i do get up at 6:00 every morning. But, parenting is a team & sometimes we like to share responsibilities".

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think she was right about the cabbage.

As far as the time comment goes I would have said exactly what you just typed, minus the "bitch." :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The food thing is one thing...you can't assume it is "your" IMO.

The school thing she is being a bit bitchy. BUT you know that about her and you went. You can't expect to have your cake and eat it too. My mom is just like your MIL and I will not go on a trip with her. Free has it's price.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• That's what I WISH I had said about the 6am thing but good responses always come to mind too late.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Sounds like she's got a burr up her ass.

Sorry, but if there are 2 baskets on the table, there is no reason why one can't have salt put on it. The other has no salt. You want no salt, don't eat out of that basket.

It is none of her business when you get up in the morning, she's not living there, she's not taking care of your children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• you are my new best friend, twins. yes, she does have a burr up her ass and I have to grin and bear it. it's getting real old real fast though. it also pisses me off because i have been bending over backwards to make her happy but she still throws out the shitty remarks constantly.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• about the salt thing, that is sorta common sense and I would have to agree with her. if you dont want to be treated as a child would, then use your manners and ask first.

I do agree with you on the 6am thing, but its not like its a big deal. They are being nice taking you and your family on a vaca, whatever happened to appreciating others?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:23 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• appreciating others is NOT allowing them to talk down to you. you sell your soul for a free vacation? lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would be pissed about the time thing for sure....I get up at 6 am a lot and it sux and on the days I work 4 am so I would have been fuming about that, and the salt thing....really? I would be like eat the other one then, and also it's not like you dumped the whole salt shaker on there I mean come on....Sounds to me like you and DH need to have a serious talk, and he needst to stand up for you to his momma.....BTW You're not a lone my SIL and MIL are b#tches to me, and treat me like crap as though I shouldn't even be there because they are better parents than me!:)
    3angels23

Answer by 3angels23 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No I wouldnt take a free vaca with someone that i wouldnt appreciate going with, and I make more than enough money to go on my OWN vaca and buy my OWN things thank you!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2011