mice problem?

We have a field behind our place (sixplex) and since it's gotten cold we have mice coming in. We've set traps and killed 6. They are skipping the traps now. I think they've finally gotten smart enough to know what they are but i know we at least have one because it's geting into our food. We don't keep anything on the floor but they climb shelves which i didn't realize they did. We don't know how their getting in but know they are going from one place to the other (sixplex). I've talked 2my neighbors but we're all doing the same. I have an 19 month old so i know i can't use mouse poison. I was told if i put it under the sink with the child locks so she can't get into it then it would be safe. Do they die instantly? I fear them dying in the open and then my daughter finding it before i do. ANY IDEAS????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The poison will kill them but they could be anywhere. They could be in your walls stinking! Personally I think the old fashioned traps are the best there is. BUT if you want something else I can't blame you since they are getting into your food and that is really dangerous for you and your family. I would recommend the glue traps. They are really in humane but very effective. Place them along the wall where they frequent even if that is in the cabinet. Mice run along walls for security. Check the traps frequently because you don't want them sitting in there for long. I warn you, once they're caught they do not die right away and it's really sad. Put the mouse and trap in a zip lock back to suffocate them. The box says to just throw it away with the mouse still glued down and alive, I think that is extra cruel. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• most of the time they die instantly.
    But we've had the same problem for the last two years we've lived here. we actually had to have a professional come in and spray and stuff, i don't know how safe that is with a baby though.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I can tell you this mice can make you and your baby very sick. Just saw it on the t.v. the other night.
    Before we moved into our place there were mice there. My BF figured out where outside they were coming in. If they go on your counters and you use those counters you can get sick. If you can I would hire someone else to handle the situation..good luck..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Usually with the poison, they die when they go to water to drink. But i have had one die before in the house, and it is horendous smell for a few days. Those little varmints can come in anywher. Places you would never dream to look. Anyways, i have used the slap traps before, but i also use the sticky traps and put peanut butter smack in the middle of it. I put a high blob of it. My husband said all it took was a tiny tiny amount. But i wanted to make darn sure he smelt it and was tempted to it so he walked on it.
    True Story: In a house that we rented one time, when we first moved in i saw a mouse so i decided to set a sticky trap. Again with my blob of peanut butter. The next day when i got homefrom work there was a terrible smell in the houus....cont

Anonymous

• I just went through this so I know what you mean and I don't know about you, but mice make me NUTS!! I went to Fleet Farm (NOT WAL*MART!!) or go to any other farm and home type store with more heavy duty supplies - Menards works too - and purchased a sonar thingy you plug into the wall and it covers 2,000 sq feet. I asked on here and people told me not to waste my money on it, but I have not seen one single mouse (or droppings) since!! They are about $30.00. Don't get the smaller ones, those I do know DONT work but the big ones do. Plus, I have noticed there are a lot fewer bugs in the house as well. GL!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• cont:...so i went to the cabinet to check the trap. There were 2 of them on it and one of them had been partially eaten. And the other mouse on the trap could not reach him. That meant there was another one. So we set another one. Long story short, we caught 16 mice in a weeks time. Let me just saw we did not stay there long. And thank god that was before we had kids. Now in our new house. We only see one once in a while. Either when is is super wet or dry outside. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• We are going thru the same thing; we've caught 7 thus far. I even got a cat from the local animal shelter! Needless to say, the cat is not doing his job. lol
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 2:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We're dealing with this, too. My neighbor across the street houses 15 outdoor 'feral" cats, plus there are a dozen more around my place. You would think this wouldn't be an issue!! (*Or maybe that's why they come INside MY home, lol!)
    So we're:
    covering the plumbing holes
    putting all food in containers (fridge, freezer, plastic storage containers, a cooler, etc.
    setting traps
    keeping garbage & recycling up, closed off, and taken out of the house frequently.

It is helping, but I still see them run around IN my house!!! :-(
    It's cold out and I understand them wanting in... but YUK!

I need more traps, maybe...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I hav a baby the same age. What i did to fix this problem was buy the rat poison, put a small amount in a napkin and put it behind all doors and in my lower level cabinets where my pans are. Also they have these little circle traps that close the mouse in when it goes to eat, get them too, put them under beds or where ever. They can hide the smell for a little while.I killed 1 rat and its family plus a squirrel. They have not been back since. I now got 2 dogs that take care of flys down to rats. If you know where all your traps are watch your child, close off areas you are not using. Place the poison in hard to reach places away from animals or use the circle thing. Or you can move.
    Anonymous