My son will turn 1 next month. He has slept in our bed and nursed on demand since the night he was born. But so did my daughter until she was 20 months, and she had horrible cavities in her teeth from being exposed to the sugars in breast milk all night long.
My son just got his first molar and I'm really worried about his teeth. I don't want to make the same mistake I made with my daughter, and so the plan is, starting Saturday, I will be gently sleep training him so he sleeps in his crib at night instead of in bed with me, and we will be night weaning.
But my problem is that I really, really don't want to. For several reasons.
1. He's little. He's not even a year old yet, and I feel like he still needs to be close to mommy.
2. He's kind of my miracle baby. I had an ectopic after my daughter. Once that happens you're more likely to have other ectopics for the rest of your life, and I didn't know if I would ever have another baby. I want to keep him close to me
3. It's so comforting for both of us for him to be in the bed.
4. He doesn't seem to just nurse for comfort at night, he seems to actually be hungry some of the time.
5. It's going to be really hard. I don't want to put him in another room yet, and so he will be right there in the crib by my bed. I don't plan on letting him cry, just getting up and rocking him back to sleep when he wakes to nurse, but I don't know if in the middle of the night I will have the strength to say no when he really wants to cuddle and nurse :(
I feel like I'm torn between meeting my baby's emotional needs and keeping his teeth healthy. And to add to that, I will sorely miss him once he's out of the bed.
What do I do? Am I being selfish for wanting him to stay in bed with me? Am I being selfish not to keep him with me?
Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2011
Answer by ohwrite at 11:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2011
Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2011
Answer by Candi1024 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2011
Answer by noel1978 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2011
Answer by hiselbobbie1 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011
Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011