Why is so hard to understand an older child breastfeeding in the US when it's considered the norm in smaller, less fortunate countries?

in response to the youtbe video of the 8yr old bfing, why is it so taboo int he US to see but it's normal across these big ol ponds in other countries?

My personal opinion: i don't care. that child is being nourished some way. it's her child, her breast. Who am I to tell her she's a bad parent she's being nasty it's not healthy or anything? i'm all for breast feeding. you do whatyou think is best for your kids.

ssnelson26

Asked by ssnelson26 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Kids' Health

• here's my theory on it and keep in mind this is just a theory!

the US has brought sex into everything. People in the US are disgusted by the breastfeeding 8 year old saying it's a form of sexual abuse to be subjected to the mother's boobs at that age.

In the lesser countries, sex is not so "public" I mean, women in Africa go around with no shirt, it's not gross, just their way of life. Their men and children are not looking at them as "sluts"

but here in the US the breasts are a symbol of sexuality, not maternity as they SHOULD be. Breasts are meant for feeding children, not arousing men.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Because people try to make breasts in to something sexual
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• awesome! you are both correct on that! i actually had an ex-friend that said that her boobs were not for nourishment. they were designed for a man's enjoyment.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Wow. Your friend wasn't that intelligent was she?
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• wow! your friend missed basic biology class huh? LOL
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• LMAO! she was a SPESHULL person
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Because in this country simply an 8 yr old does not need a breast for nourishment. We have an abundent food supply here. I can see if you were out in some desert country where food was scarce & it was either breastfeed the kid or die. I'm not against breastfeeding or extended within reason. But by the time a kid is potty trained, walking, talking, in school, eating (or should be) real food then I think you are crossing a fine line there. If the kid is so big you cant fit them on your lap dont you think that is saying something? God intended us to breastfeed but not when the kid is almost as tall as you are! I think some psycological components come into play with the child at that age who continues a practice meant to norish a baby.
    Anonymous

• I also saw this video months ago. I am definitely pro breast feeding as I bf'd all four of my children. But lets take a look at your question...it can't be said that bf'ing an 8 year old is normal nor common in other countries, b/c remember, this was a "special" video put online b/c it IS different and odd, and frankly meant to draw interest from the rest of the world. Now, lets take a look at the situation created by this mother: First of all every female mammal has a lactation period. We learned that in high school. The human lactation period, regardless of what human women "want" to do, is actually only 7-8 months. Past that time, a great deal of effort, even it its to nurse often, has to be put into it to keep enough milk to satisfy the needs of a fast growing 9 month old.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• continued...Why don't we continue to feed a calf, kitten or pup milk after the lactation period? Bc nature tells us that the body no longer needs the mothers milk. Matter of fact, if you continue to feed the dog milk after that time, he will develop rickets. But for the human child, we reason it thru with many debatable points and continue on our own time table. Remember too, that naturally, the human child stops sucking (suckling) for its nutrition. Why? Even our pets stop sucking and begin to eat solid foods at a certain period of time. The mother cow will kick her growing calf when he comes near her. Is that mean? Of course not.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• continued... Nature tells her what to do in order to care best for her baby. So why does an 8 year old "need" to suck? For nutrition? No, for someones pleasure and benefit. I find it unusual and quite strange that an 8 year old is still needing the sucking to comfort herself. It didn't look like she needed comforting. And her nutritional needs should be being met by solids foods by now. You'd think. So you'll have to weight the possibilities as to why this mother finds herself needing to have a child suck her breasts. This isn't called breast feeding. Her child eats solid foods now. This has nothing to do with sexuality, just mainly, shock value.
    lifeasinoit