Afraid of gaining weight after BF

Am I the only one out there who is afraid to stop BF and pumping due to the fear of gaining weight? I swear I have lost close to 70 lbs and I really believe most of it is due to the amount of calories I burn from BF. I have enough milk stored in the freezer to last me until my ds is 12 mo old yet I am afraid to stop because I don't want to lose weight. It is hard for me to find time for exercise since I have 2 children under 2 years old, not to mention my 7 yr old.

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 11:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You can modify your diet to maintain your weight. You will have to eat fewer calories, but it can be done!

Exercise doesn't have to be an hour at the gym. You can break it up, or get everyone involved. I take my kids for walks, and that counts! The 7 year old can walk or ride a bike with you, the 2 year old can ride in a stroller and the baby can be in a sling or baby carrier on your chest. Pushing the stroller and carrying the baby even burn extra calories!

Also, having enough milk to make it through to 12 months doesn't mean you should stop. Your milk changes to meet your baby's needs as they grow. They don't actually take in more milk, the quantity stays the same, the content of the milk changes to fill them up faster. No joke! Also, the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. And nursing a toddler is fun, they get so creative lol.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My appetite went down after I stopped nursing (it went up while nursing). Maintain healthy habits once you DO stop. But if your baby is still under 12 months, there's certainly no need to stop (even beyond 12 months- WHO recommends nursing until at least 2 years of age). Only you can decide when it's time to stop, but try not to stress about weight gain when you do stop. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You actually only burn an additional 500 calories from BF. So, as long as you reduce your daily intake by 500, you will still be on the same track.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You have good reason to be worried.

I lost a ton of weight bfing, it was just melting off of my body. I stopped, even cut back on what I was eating, and all of a sudden my body turned into a magnet for fat.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• congrats on losing a ton of weight. You can maintane that by eating right and getting atleast 3 good workouts in a week and you can keep the weight off. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011