How much will a baby run me monthly?

I am trying to do calculations on how much roughly a month a child would cost me.. I am a unexpected pregnant very happy mommy to be .. and i want to be sure to save enough money for when my child comes to ensure them the best life possible .. I cant help but to worry .. please help =(

Flylilchinky

Asked by Flylilchinky at 11:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well.. you can never really be sure.. Unexpected items come up..

Just for starters... Heres PART of my budget..

Formula: $140 per month (approx)
    Diapers: $50 per month (approx)
    Baby Food: $30 per month (approx)

Plus--Baby Water, Clothes, Meds, etc

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• All depends on a lot of factors- breast or formula? Disposable or cloth diapers? Daycare or SAHM?

I spend about $25 in disposables, $480 in daycare, & a good $150 in food monthly.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• That really doesn't sound bad at all .. i work full time have a pretty decent job and so does my boyfriend .. i hate when people discourage me and say that I'm gonna struggle and have a very hard life. . i would give up anything to do for my child .. and the numbers you gave me don't seem to be impossible to me .. Sadly i wont be receiving and WIC if my bf starts to get paid on the books or if i get a dollar raise which is a little scary
    Flylilchinky

Comment by Flylilchinky (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Depends if you breast feed or formula feed, and disposable diaper or cloth diaper............Breastfeeding is cheaper you don't have to buy formula but you will need a good double breast pump and that will cost roughly 160 dollars and up if you buy new and less if you buy used from Craigslist or something but it's a one time cost compared to formula. I don't know much about cloth diapers but it depends on how many you buy and how often you can do laundry......Disposable diapers depends on the brand, for pampers probably somewhere close to 60-70 dollars a month at first and will get better as baby gets bigger because you won't change as often. Clothes you need atleast like 7 outfits and 7 pairs of pjs to start with and will gain more. A crib, a bassinette, a car seat, a place to put baby's clothes, a swing blankets these are all a one time cost so that is roughly 5-600 dollars depending on your choice.
    3angels23

Answer by 3angels23 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i would say that i am going to try to breast feed but it may not work for me .. so i say i would like to base it on a full formula diet with disposal diapers and stay at home mom for maybe the first couple of months and mom will take over daycare duties ..
    Flylilchinky

Comment by Flylilchinky (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• There's no real way to calculate exactly how much that baby will cost you. If you breast feed you won't need formula but you'll need diapers and pacifiers and toys, blanket, clothes, car seat, crib, shampoo, body wash, wash cloths, swing, and many other things that you can't predict at this point. If you're worried about cost, you can get lots of things at Goodwill or garage sales. I used a lot of stuff from my childhood, that my mother passed to me, as well as stuff from my siblings.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Don't forget to factor in having to get a larger home to accommodate having a child (perhaps not while an infant, but as your child gets older, they'll need a bedroom!), plus you need to pay for daycare (even subsidized isn't free), if your child gets sick, one of you needs to stay home with the baby, so you lose your wages for the day. Child care costs vary by where you live, so start researching now. I assume one of you has health insurance through work, and that may go up with adding a child (or if you have to get health care elsewhere, there's that expense). Also, you need to make sure you have good life insurance (your annual salary times twenty is generally what's recommended). You need to be able to cover for if you passed away or your boyfriend did, so your child wouldn't suffer financially. These are the costs we don't immediately see, but that are important to think about.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:19 AM on Jul. 12, 2011