What do you do to save money?

I grocery shop once a month to save on gas and impulse buying, raise chickens because it really is cheaper than buying eggs, make my own laundry soap, I crochet my own potholders, hot pads and blankets, and I can jelly and jam. How do you save money in today's economy?

kustomkrochet

Asked by kustomkrochet at 11:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Buy alot of secondhand items
    my son's clothes,some of my clothes,house items

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I use lots of coupons
    Baylor-Aubri-

Answer by Baylor-Aubri- at 11:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• gardening...buy in bulk, browse the clearance racks for clothing, juice, meat, cheese, etc..., carpool, do a flex work schedule, turn off all the lights when not in a room, wash clothes in cold water, line dry when applicable, I subscribe to livingsocial.com and groupon.com, garage sales...I'm trying to think of what else...
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I wish we could save money like that!! We go to the store 2 or 3 times a week (we live in the country), and buy things we don't need. And we're trying to fix up our car so it's in tip top shape, and that sucks up alot of our money, but we do save on labor costs because DH went to college to be a mechanic so he does the repairs himself! I don't like chickens but it would be cool to have some!! lol
    something_

Answer by something_ at 11:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I also wash in cold water, but I used a clothes line for 15 years out of necessity, I'm spoiled to my dryer now. LOL shopping on the clearance racks and sales at grocery stores are also great, I've done that for so long, I forgot to mention it.
    kustomkrochet

Comment by kustomkrochet (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• do my own nails, hair and use coupons and gift cards given to me for vacation.
    geminilove7192

Answer by geminilove7192 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• to something, I shop once a month, partly because I live 20 miles from civilization, lol, it truly does save lots of money though. To feed a family of four every month, I spend less than $300.
    kustomkrochet

Comment by kustomkrochet (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Coupons ad matches, and buy in bulk, and LOVE clearance, and store brand stuff, and my mom has a huge garden so I steal from her lol......Garage sales, hand me downs, turn lights off as much as possible, use fans and stuff instead of turning thermostat down, use windows for natural light and curtains to keep heat out......Just got new windows and siding due to hail a couple years ago so super excited for the efficiency there..........Drive cheap small vehicles as much as possible do have a mini van for family trips and a suburban for the boat/trailor.......
    3angels23

Answer by 3angels23 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Shop sales and clearance racks, buy off brand items as much as we possible can, turn off lights and open curtains and blinds, wash in cold as much as I can. I make my own laundry soap and line dry. Our cars are paid off and we just fix them as we go. We don't drive any more than we have to. I'm learning to sew. My mom helped me make some curtains not long ago. I found material that is so much nicer than the ready made curtains at the store.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I wish I could do some of the things you all do to save money.. But we go grocery shopping twice a month ( we dont have a deep freeze yet ) so most of the stuff wont stay good for a whole month and we also have to make little trips to get milk because I cant fit 6 jugs along with other food in there at one time.. But we do use coupons ( sometimes ) I buy mostly store brands, I dont buy a lot of junk food, and buy stuff for my hubby to pack a lunch so he isnt buying out everyday and we also buy from sams club. And hubby does most of the work on our truck.. I also love to shop for sales and clearance... And when we make our list for all the money going out ( like for elec. phone, food and so on ) I make sure to over guess so that way if its less then thats more I can put in savings also I write down how much I want to put in savings and act like we dont even have that anymore so its not even thought about its just put up
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2011