How to deal with an Nosy Neighbour?

I have been a licensed childcare provider for 3 years now. One of my neighbour is not happy about a Day Care in the sub-division. He often calls the Town and State and couple of times the state is at my door for inspections. Even though they did not find any fault - or so its just bothers me. Now, lately he started stopping the Parents and complianing about the operations. I just made a Police complaint about the neighbour and the response was its generally people are not comforable about the idea of an Home Day Care - in their neighbourhood .
Have any of you come across this situtation and how did you guys deal with it.
Thanks in advance
Suseela

BTW - I live in Cary, North Carolina

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• have you talked to a lawyer? maybe they could figure out what to do with the neighbor. most of the lawyers i know will talk to you for free.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• What does he have a problem with? Noise,the cars coming to pick the kids up?
    What if instead of having kids there for the daycare you had that many kids yourself,would he be bitching up a storm and reporting you for THAT?
    Do you own or rent?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• tell your neighbor to give up his control and deal with it and if he doesn't like it he can move. Explain to him further that this is your income and how you earn it is non of his business
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Drop some checkers off at his door step and ask him to make that his new hobby.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Neighbor relations are always difficult. We live by some really noisy people (in NC as well) and I would take your daycare as my neighbor over them any day! Wanna move to Clayton? LOL

If he is at all reasonable I would suggest what another mom said and explain that its your income. And if you have a schedule of when you guys are outside etc you could always try and let him know that as well.

Good luck!
    Valen43

Answer by Valen43 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• well ill tell you a story...we got sued for putting a roof on our house that the neighbor didn't like. he also thought it went against some policy. nonetheless we won ;) and got all his money :) so as long as these inspections are going well, there's really nothing to loose over in court if the worst were to happen.
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I am So Sorry but, i have to Laugh! i know EXACTLY what you are going through- even though i have never been a Child Care Provider- but, i lived in Camden Forest Subdivision in Cary, NC for 7 Years- my kids were in high school then & b/c we lived in the cul-de-sac their friends would park on the street- a public street.. my neighbors called the police on us for this 17 TIMES! every time i turned around they either called the Police or the Home Owners Association! the only reason i stayed as long as i did was b/c i wasn't going to let them run me out- but, i was ready to go as soon as my son graduated- i now live Peacefully in Clayton,NC.. i'm really sorry you are going through this; just Stand your Ground- you are not doing anything Wrong- Those people are Complete Fruit-Loops!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I love all the replies. Most of them been awesome and it looks like i am not alone here.
    To noel - I have not yet talked to a Lawyer. So far, I have not been to that kind of decision yet.
    To Lizzy- This is the exact way - this guy is behaving. He bothers my other neighbours and he targets us most of us Asians - He thinks we are all idiots and we do not follow the rules and almost 75% of our community houses are occupied by Asian Indians and Asians. This guy does not have kids or pets and he does not have any real responsibility around the house other than taking care of his yard/house. He works from home and its like living across from my in-laws-house. He lives at the entrance of the cul-de-sac - has his both back yard and front yard facing most of our houses. Calls cops - transporation department - town of cary and state.
    I need ideas and suggestions to make this guy understand and so no to bother us.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• wow? i'm not sure what to tell ya, but i'd like to hear how it comes along, please keep us poted. I would think you could go after him for harrassment, especially since he's stopping your clients and talking to them. I would definately talk to a lawyer though. It's not fair that you have all those calls on your lisencing reports. That could still hurt your business? And i can't beleive a neighborhood wouldn't want a home daycare, gosh we have one on every block. It's just a normal thing here.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Depending on MMOTD I would just ask him what his problem is? Maybe whatever it is you two can work out and life can go back to being peaceful.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011