Getting your kids out the door on time

let's say you need to be out the door with your 6 yr old by 9 am
it is 8:30 and they aren't sure they are hungry and they have 15 minutes left before getting out the door
They keep stalling and it's almost time to go and they suddenly got it figured out
do you just give them something quik just to get them fed?
or do you give up and say it's to late they had time to eat?

would you just let them go hungry until lunch to teach them a lesson so the next day the child "gets it" that stalling=hunger

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 11:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If we had to leave by 9 my kids would have long since been up and eaten already. They usually get up at 6am (school days or weekends or any time) and eat on their own.
    But if that scenario played out and they didn't eat before we needed to leave and had plenty of time and opportunity then that's their problem to deal with. they get nothing and will have to go hungry. We don't have snack food or easy breakfast stuff or anything like that in the house. They eat cereal for breakfast which isn't portable.
    They should have eaten if they were hungry when they had the chance. And my kids know that. It's never been an issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• OP - find the thing that works for them. My boys get an extremely limited diet of TV, so this works for us...but only in the summer because they don't get TV when school is in session. It could be any reward that works for you. The key is to have the children working for the same goal you are - them being ready to leave. Trying to force people into submission is just going to make you frustrated - get the kids on your side so that you are working as a team. Lead your kids, don't push them.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would either grab something for the car or tell them it's too late
    3angels23

Answer by 3angels23 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• They have to decide they want to eat by a certain time, or there is no time left. My 6 year old knows this. If she really whines about it, I will allow her to take a poptart or a bag of dry cereal for in the car, but she usually opts not to.

We really only have this issue on mondays because thier schedule is thrown off from the weekend. When they go to bed on time I have no problem getting her up and eating on time.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well, I've only got a 4-year-old, so might change when she is 6. At this point in time, we wouldn't ever let it get to 8:30 without the decision being made. I suppose if we did let the morning routine slide that much, then we would offer a yogurt to go with no other options - take it or leave it, it's too late for something else.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Oh, but my kids don't go hungry until lunch. Daycare and kindergarten both serve breakfast, but they usually prefer to eat at home.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Although the times/ages are different, the scenario is not. I pop a couple of blueberry waffles into the toaster & grab some protein bars and don't mention breakfast again. When we are in the car & settled, then I break out the grub. In the moments of chaos (the last 30 minutes of running around trying to get out of the door on time), the last thing my daughter (almost 5) or myself is concerned with is food. Once we are calm and en route, that's when the hunger kicks in. I try to keep some granola, fruit/bars (Special K or Nutri-Grain) and almonds in the car for times I forget the waffles.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I run a morning routine with a little reward at the end of it. Boys are woken and they get dressed. Breakfast and chores happen then, wrapping up with packing bags and getting together any last minute supplies they need. If they get their routine completed with enough time, they are allowed a little bit of TV before leaving the house. Since they are motivated to complete the routine, I don't have to fight with them and we're rarely late. The faster they go, the more TV they get.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I wish a reward of a little TV would work but it doesn't...I keep it off in the mornings
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I bring a granola bar and cheese stick in the car. I do that all the time!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2011