Interested Real Estate Jobs and need advice.

Right now I work three jobs - babysitting (primary income), photography (secondary income), and research for a Chemical company. Also some Miles of Marketing jobs and Mystery Shops. The problem is that I'm so spread out trying to make ends meet that I don't have any time for the whole reason I'm trying to be home! I bring in $550 a week now with the childcare - and $200 more after November...but it's a lot of work...and my husband is talking about moving in a year or so - so I'm going to have to start ALL over, building a client base, etc. My goal is to be home for the girls before and after school and in the evenings to take them to their activities and in the summer so they're not home alone or somewhere else. I would love to get into real estate, but I'm not sure if I could live on having to sell a house to earn money...I mean, is that how it works??? I would love to buy some rental property - but I don't think I'd even qualify for my own mortgage right now. I would love to fix up; paint, decorate, yard work and be in on the commission. I would love to do paperwork. I could see myself SHOWING houses - but if we moved to a new area, I'd be unfamiliar. All this I could see myself doing with my three year old while my seven year old was in school - or nights and weekends where there weren't any activities; Girl Scouts, church, ballet...I have a great home office. Is anyone in the real estate world that could direct me better?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 11:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't encourage anyone to go into the real estate business right now. I have my license, that I got back in the 90s when houses were hot (especially in our area). Yes - a house has to sell for you to get any money so it's all commission. It's really hard to develop a client base and in the beginning you can go months without a sale. Once you get started and friends/clients start recommending you, it snowballs and can definitely keep you busy and rake in the dough. The biggest drawback for me was that it's a lot of nights and weekends that I wanted to spend with my husband and kids once they were born.

Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I went through training last year and passed the exam. Of the 6 students in my class, one is working for his dad. I invested over $800.00 total... And stopped there after needing another $550.00 to get started... Then i might have sold one house per year or not. For me, it wasn't worth it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• :( Thanks. I love to gut empty houses - is there a need for that? Gut, clean, paint and decorate - SELL!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Could be... I am seeing people who have ads up to clean foreclosed properties. Also lots of people "flip" homes... Buy them, fix them up and sell them
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I KNOW - that would be AWESOME fun!!!
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• And then I just came across a TV show where people were doing just that...the FLIP - I'd just need someone to go in WITH me. :(
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2011