Excessive sleeping

My 20 mo son has been sleeping almost 20 hours a day. At first I thought it was because we just over did it a little and he was over tired, but now I can't keep him awake. He sleeps straight through the night until noon or later, wakes up to eat and back down for about 3-4 hours, wakes for a little while and back down for the night. I'm not just randomly putting him to bed for no reason either, he's showing all the signs and asks to go up, and he's absolutely cranky miserable until I do. I'm starting to get concerned. I don't like waking kids, I believe kids need sleep but this is getting ridiculous.

Also I woke him earlier today to try and get him back on schedule, he's been up for about an hour and is miserable and has asked to go back to bed already.

Should I be worried or do you think this sounds ok?

Thanks ladies

Finkette

Asked by Finkette at 11:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd see a doctor ASAP
    That is above what I consider normal for sleeping

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Be worried. This doesn't sound right. Even if he's having a growth spurt, this sounds like a ridiculous amount of sleeping. Make an appointment with your doctor.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would ask his doc. That does sound a little excessive for a toddler to sleep. good luck momma!
    brit0813

Answer by brit0813 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• How long has he been sleeping that much? I'd definitely ask your doc, but if it's just been a couple of days I'd personally give it a couple more days or so just to see if he snaps out of it.
    Anonymous

• That definately doesn't seem normal. Is he showing any signs of being sick? Has he gotten shots recently? If not, I wouldn't definately call his doctor.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yeah, call his doctor
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 10:09 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Call the doc ASAP, there could be several things that could cause this. I would be concerned. Even if he has had shots recently, I would consult your doctor.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 2:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011