Just Curious. Help please. (TMI)

Well I'm 38w today and here lately every time I've gone to the bathroom the crotch of my underwear have been a little wet, but no discharge or anything like that, and I don't have a weak bladder. Also when I wipe after going pee, the toilet paper will be a bright yellow and sometimes have very little discharge. Granted my prenatal vitamins make my pee really yellow, but I've not taken it yet today. How do I know if I'm leaking amniotic fluid or if my water has ruptured?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• amniotic fluid should not smell like ammonia.. pee does. i know it sounds gross to smell it but I read that's a good way to check. Also you won't all of a sudden stop leaking because after the water breaks, your body continues to make amniotic fluid until you've given birth. So if you keep leaking most likely your water has broken.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 2:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• amniotic fluid is not bright yellow so my educated guess is that you are wiping urine.
    Anonymous

• well if it your water you will know
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have smelled it, and it doesn't really have a smell to it.. I'm just not sure what to do about it, but I don't think there is anything I can do. For the last two weeks I've been 1-1 1/2cm dilated and 50% effaced, I've also been having contractions but the little ones.. This is my first baby and I just want to make sure everything is okay..
    Anonymous

• Usually when your water breaks you know. During my first pregnancy , when i got to the bathroomone time i did'nt make it to sid down and i thought my water broke because it was just like a flood. Turns out that night the baby just kicked my bladder and i peed. However the next night when my water did break, i was asleep and i felt a kind of a pop, and wetness comeout whils laying down. Then when i stoop up, more cam out, and it just kept leaking from then on, and not just like a little leak. Enough to have to wear a pad to the emergency room.Your baby is prop just squeezing your bladder right now since you are so close, and just keeps pushing uring out. If worried, go to the er and tell them you think you are in labor and think your water broke. They will hook you up to the meachines and find out. I did, and the first one was a false alarm, but better same than sorry.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 2:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Oh, also, after my water broke, the contractions started coming on and i mean fast. And we lived 45 miles from the hospital. And i am a whoose when it comes to pain. It didn't seem like i was ever going to get the epidral. I was barley at 2cm when i got to the hospital. I was at 5 befor they finally gave me the epi. They wanted to sit in there and ask me all kinds of questions that i was not in the mood to answer and tell you to keep breathing, your doing great. I wanted to tell them to shut the hell up. Anyways, my point is you will probably know for sure when your water does break or you are in labor. Good Luck
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 3:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I leaked fluid in both of my pregnancy's and when i leaked my undies were completly soaked. And when you actually break your water it's a HUGE gush and it just keeps coming. Sometimes women don't even break there water on there own they have to have it done by the doctor. So if you really are worried about it the best thing you could do is to call your doc and let him/her know whats happening. GL
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon 1:26. You could be leaking, but most likely if you were you would be able to soak a pad when laying down. With anything like this and especially with your first, you should take all concerns to your doctor. That is what they are there for.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If you can feel the fluid coming out and can't stop it or at least slow the flow, it's probably your water...however, if it's not a water-like consistency, it's not your water!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I was leaking fluid all day and wasn't really sure. My contractions started about 7 hours later. When I got to the hospital they tested it, and it was amniotic fluid. If my contractions hadn't started, I wouldn't have known, unlike what others have said. Call your doc. They can do a quick test using a strip similar to what they put in your urine sample every appt. They can even test your undies. It's better to know because if your contractions don't start within a certain time (12-24 hrs I think), you are at risk for an infection. GL!
    BradysMom932

Answer by BradysMom932 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2008