To those that made or makes homemade babyfood

ok I have 2 girls 6 and 3.5 and never made babyfood before so I am looking online on how to make it this timje around because it scares me cause I just seen some that were (I forget the name of it lol) but because of pieces of glass being in the babyfood. So I am afraiand and rather make mine this time so my question is to those that have done this before. Doesn't the food have to be fridged or in the freezer until ready to use? Just my concern is what if I am going somewhere that doesn't have a fridge? Like to the zoo where we stay there all day I mean we go from 10- like 6 so I didn't know if the baby food would stay good that long since I would have to take some for lunch and for dinner.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes it does but you can pack it with ice packs and in a thremal pouch. It should be fine. I used ice cube tray to freeze my food by the way.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You can always get an insulated lunch bag (easy to find) with an ice pack, which will keep the food nice and cold all day. We never had any trouble with keeping the food cold. If it's only going to be an hour or so, don't stress over it. If you have the food frozen, get a cup of hot water, and dunk the container in the mug. That's how we warmed DS's food at restaurants and such. Everywhere has hot water if you look.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I made food for my first child and I will do the same for my second. It's healthy and it's actually quite easy to do. The food does have to be refrigerated until used. When we were going out for the day we would put the food jars with some ice packs in an insulated lunch bag. This worked so well! Or, you can always do "instant" mashable foods such as bananas and avocados.

I wrote a blog posting about this a while ago (tips, tricks and baby food cookbook recommendations to make your own food can be found in the posting). Check it out when you have a chance:
    http://thedeliberatemom.blogspot.com/2011/02/homemade-baby-food.html

I hope this helps :)
    DeliberateMom

Answer by DeliberateMom at 11:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i used to that all the time. someone gave me some baby food that were in reuseable plastic contaners. i would make up and freeze the food. as for the long away from the fridge thing, get a two lunchboxes that has installation and then take them out of the freezer right before you leave. it takes them awhile to defrost and the bag will keep it cold and will still be good for lunch. the other one put in those ice packs or ice to keep it colder longer. oh yeah make sure you put the bags in the freezer the night before to help ensure that everything stays cold. if you plan to take coolers for your drinks and other food, you can just stick them in there too. hope this helps.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• There are fancy pureeing things sold at baby stores, but all you really need is a food processor or blender, a stove or steamer and some ice cube trays. It's quite simple, Cook it on the stove in a pot or in the steamer, then put it in the blender/processor until it is pureed completely and then put it in the ice cube trays. The ice cubes are about 1oz each. When they got older I made little meals and put them in the snack bar trays from tupperware. There are many baby food books too. I own the So Easy baby and toddler books. They give an outline of what ages to introduce certain foods, what two or three foods to mix together, what spices or seasonings can be added and at what ages. The toddler book is great for picky eaters too.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yeah, you have to freeze it after making it (icecube trays are great for this). If you'll only be out for an hour or two, you can just pop a few cubes into a little tupperware and let it thaw. Usually we'd eat the homemade babyfood at home, but when we're out I'd just bring some finger foods like fruit and cereal and then I'd offer bits of whatever I ate, too. When babies are old enough to need a lot more than just BM/formula, they are usually old enough to handle some real food.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Good choice on making your own. Your children will benefit and you will save so much $$. Have fun and enjoy.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011