Lunches

I need ideas for when my kindergartener starts school next month. Help!

smushy79

Asked by smushy79 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ham and cheese sanwiches cut into shapes with cookie cutters
    carrot sticks
    pretzels
    Jello
    Juice box
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My dd liked the Smuckers frozen sandwiches. They thaw out in time for lunch and come in diff flavors. I bought a variety pack of small bagged chips, so I would not have to fill bags in the morning. I also bought prepackaged cookies and fruit. You pay more, but the convenience is so worth it!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 12:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Ask them what they would like. When my son started school last year we picked out a lunch box At Target and walk through the food section and talked about what he would like to have in his lunch box and also picked out a hot/cold food thermos and talked about options for that.
    There was one rule, no junk, only healthy food
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Invest in a good hot-foods thermos ($10-15). You can then pack supper leftovers, soups, mac & cheese, hot dogs, spaghetti, all kinds of warm foods so he's not always stuck with sandwiches. Another option more fun than sandwiches, make a wrap (tortilla, meat, cheese, veggies, roll it up) then slice into pinwheels.
    Anonymous

• ohh! here is an idea I did a few times, I packed milk in a thermos and cereal in another plastic bowl and he would pour the milk over the cereal..works good for when it was slim pickings around the kitchen and it was only twice
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My kids get lunches at school (thankfully) but usually have to take them the first week until the lunch program kicks in. They just take sandwiches, a fruit and/or gogurt, a bag of something salty (fish crackers or something like that) and a bottle of water.
    One of their favorites is to make sandwiches but use dinner rolls instead of bread. They take 2 mini sandwiches with them. Sometimes I can't get them to eat a lunch meat sandwich to save their lives but put it on a dinner roll and suddenly it's the greatest thing ever, lol. They also like those bagel thins with onion and chive cream cheese, turkey and a slice of American.
    I really don't know what they make. My kids are responsible for packing their own lunches when they have to take them (they will be in 6th, 4th, 3rd and kindergarten this fall).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Get some high quality food containers, (tupperware, great, pricey, but very worth it) SO you can take whatever will fit. Instead of pre packaged crap (even the pre packaged fruit, often come with added other stuff in it) you can pack fresh.
    As for sandwiches, switch up the breads. Bagels, rolls, pitas, tortillas, filled with anything you can stuff in it!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My kids take sandwiches, yogurt, cereal, milk, cookies, pretzels, fruit, crackers, granola bars and cheese sticks. Some years, they were not allowed to take peanut butter because of allergies in the classroom.  I tend to use reusable containers and make from scratch - nothing pre-packaged except the cheese sticks and yogurt.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• don't forget the freezer pack to keep cold things cold! also freeze gogurts and buy the time it's lunch they are still cold but thawed
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 10:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• We use the glad sectional containers the most. if it's a hot food, wrap it in foil and put it in there. my son only takes 'healthy' stuff. no pre-paked foods, or pre-made foods, and it's easy to do. he loves peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla and rolled up, for ex. fresh fruit and vegetables are easy too. And a warning, most of the kids opt for choc. milk offered at school. my son felt 'left out' being the ONLY one drinking white milk, even from home. so i would mix 1/4th skim chocolate with 3/4ths skim white. it was enough to pass for chocolate milk, and now my son prefers less choc. flavor too. sometimes we use a hot food thermos too. great for hm mac and cheese or cottage cheese.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2011