How did you "cope" when you had your second child?

I have a 3 1/2 year old and I'm expecting my second child to come any day now. I'm wondering how I will cope/handle two children at once (especially when one is a newborn). Tips? Tricks? Advice?

DeliberateMom

Asked by DeliberateMom at 12:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have three.. I had a 6 year old & a 3 and a half year old when my baby was born..

My advice: Just go with the flow♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• 31/2 year is old enough to play alone for a while, while you take care of the baby. It wont be as hard as you think. Have toys for for the 31/2 year old to play with.

Answer by louise2 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My son was 9 1/2 when I had my daughter, I involved him in her care, never had a problem. They are now 20 & 11 and have always been very close.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 12:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• just make sure you include the older one in things that you do so he/she dont feel left out .if your feeding the baby you can read a book to the older one .let the older one help if he/she wants to .when the baby sleeps that can be ur time with the older one .and the 3 yr old is old enough to play by his /herself if needed .just go with what ever is more comtforatble or works for you after a couple days you will find something that works
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• A good baby carrier will save your life. I love my Ergo. Also, don't worry about the time. It doesn't matter if you go to the grocery store 10 minutes (or 10 hours) later than you had planned on. Take it day by day and enjoy it all- the time flues by even faster w two!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and will be 5 when this new baby is born and I am too worried about juggling my time! She is a hand full at 4 and has been me and my husbands world since day one so I am just nervous I won't be able to give her as much love and attention as she is use too!! :-( I'm really trying to cherish these months because soon I know her lil world will be turned upside down!!
    meabellas_mommy

Answer by meabellas_mommy at 1:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My son was 3 when our daughter was born..he was jealous, but I just had to remember to make time for him too. Gone are the days where they say "sleep when the baby sleeps", now some of that time needs to be focused on the older child so that they don't feel replaced..even if it's just reading a book or cuddling on the couch. Also, as frustrating as it seems sometimes, let your older child "help out" like getting a diaper or the wipes, picking out an outfit, etc..and like the other mommas said, just go with the flow!! some days will be harder than others, but it's always ok to ask for help!! Good luck!! :)
    brit0813

Answer by brit0813 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Your 3 1/2 years old will be so excited to have a baby. There are many things that your older child can do to help, hand you a diaper or the cream ( even thought you can do it yourself) , bring a blanket when you are nursing. I would suggest against having them take the diaper to the trash as it is icky and they will be put off until they are much older. Though you know smiling is a matter of gas your child doesn't. Make sure to say things like "see, she is smiling at her brother". There will be times when you simply have to pay attention to your newborn and the older child wants you now. Be sure to look at them when they talk and repeat what they have asked you and a short explanation. John, Suzie is nursing and will sleep soon. Can you wait just a few minutes and I will get your blocks and we can play together? Just remember that the older child needs to know you still think he is important too. you will do fine.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011