Best way to find 'Couples' friends?

Me and my husband are semi-new to Plano tx and I am dying to find some friends that we can do 'couples' things with. Back home I had a lot of friends and really enjoyed going out and partying. Husband wasn't so much into that. More into, sports, excersising, and eating (no suprise there). Since we moved to TX, we've had a baby and I've quit drinking. Now all we do is sit at home. I'd love to find a couple where we could have outings that don't involve drinking/partying. We don't belong to a church, so meeting friends that way isn't an option. Maybe I'm shooting for the stars in wanting to find a 'friend' that my husband would like too. He's pretty much content on not doing anything at all. Me, not so much. Gosh, it sure would be nice if there were a 'dating website' that would match couples up for FRIENDS, not dating. Maybe that will be the 'new thing'. Any advice?

MrsPeepers

Asked by MrsPeepers at 2:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• try craigslist
    Anonymous

• I don't think there's a category for that...
    MrsPeepers

Answer by MrsPeepers at 2:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Perhaps, if you would feel comfortable about it, you could join a church. Some have groups for couples. Our couples friends are either neighbors or friends where I knew the wife from college. We are going out tomorrow with a couple- my husband knows the wife from work, so that will be nice. I hope we make a friendship connection and end up going to plays or having meals together. So if someone at work seems agreeable and has a spouse, that is a possibility. Or any activity where you can make a friend (volunteer work, exercise class), then if the friend has a spouse, it could work out to be a couples friendship, too.

Answer by Bmat at 3:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Have you tried a playgroup, or Mommy & Me? Something where you can get together with your child and meet people other moms. My community has a mom's group and it includes mom's night out and family get togethers. Something like this could be a step towards making new friends =)
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 3:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• There are also some groups here on CafeMom for local moms -- look for the groups for North Texas Moms, or Plano Moms. Craigslist has a platonic section - and its full of people that apparently have NO concept of what the word platonic means. Lol. Good2Me makes a great suggestion - Plano should have some Mommy & Me type groups. Maybe you could also join a gym - take Yoga, take a cooking class through the community center or something to get some socialization? :) Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I live in Plano. I am not sure if you don't belong to a Church because you are not a Christian or just because you haven't done it yet. I don't care either way but if you are not a Christian there is a Unitarian Church in east plano you could attend.

I found once my child went to school I met lots of moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2009