Have you ever been close to seperating or getting a divorce?

I am just wondering, because Dh and I have had some huge fights that I thought for sure it was over for good. We have always been able to work things out though somehow. Have you ever been close to calling it quits with your current spouse or boyfriend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes. We used to fight a lot. We found couples counseling ...as lame as it sounds... to be very helpful. We both want it to work and the counselor we see once every week has helpped us to learn to communicate with each oter, instead of talking at each other.

Personally it has helpped me see that there is so much that we do just isn't fair to each other.

Example
    My last relationship ended on very bad terms. I was cheated on, and I was making my current partner 'pay for someone elses' mistakes' in my actions. Although my words were "I trust you"
    my actions were "You can't be trusted, you're just like all the rest".

The key is that you must both be willing to work.
    Nothing good comes easy.
    PokeYouInDaEye

Answer by PokeYouInDaEye at 5:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes we have been very close but then again it must have been because I was heated up at the moment. If people are in love, then they know that it's easy to call it quits but NOT easy to actually go through with it.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 2:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• yes of an on we think bout it but it never happens cuz we love eachother
    Anonymous

• yup. everyday.... lol. he gets on my nerves sometimes. but for some reason, when things get real bad, we always make up and than our relationship becomes stronger. so, until then. im not going to make any hasty decisions until its something real bad... like cheating or abuse. but for now, im good. i doubt that will happen.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 2:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes, but every time I tell him that I am going to leave, he changes his ways. He is very scared of me leaving him big time. Our relationship has been strengthened;however, he will do well for a while and then revert back somewhat. We truly love one another, but our relationship always has its ups and downs. This is natural I think. It's hard to say whether or not our relationship will work out, but once you stop being afraid of the D word, that's when the guy will start to straighten up. He knows that I can make my own way without him. He has made himself dependent on me and not vice versa.
    Anonymous

• yes, it was about 4 years ago. It turned out that he was going through a gambling addiction. All the money was gone without an explanation and he would come home from work, the only thing he would say was that he was soooooooo tired and fall right into bed. Then he would wake up in a rush, say he was going to be late and leave. Never home and no money, I was sure that he was having an affair. I kicked him out, we fought and agrued, and he came clean with the gambling. I said NO MORE, he agreed and we haven't had a problem since.
    Anonymous

• We actually did seperate for a year and then realized that we shouldn't sweat the small things.
    Anonymous

• Yep iv been divorced and its taught me that i need to work on things with my SO that much harder now for one because i love him that much and 2 because we have 3 kids together and i brought my DD from my marrige into this and I dont want her to see another ended relationship!! I have actully ended it with him twice and didnt talk to him for months but i couldnt stay away so after the last time i did that to him i just bit the bullet moved accross the country for him and put myself 100% into it we still have those moments where I think we arent gonna last much longer but then he never fails to amaze me and make me fall in love with him all over again!! Iv been here a little over a year now and the first year was HELL but i think that the horrible "honeymoon" stage that everyone talks about is comming to and end and we are getting things together!! I HOPE
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If your being honest.. I dont think there is a couple on earth that doesnt go through that thought in there heads. Its just Choosing to act on it and choosing if it is worth it. Unless you are being abused in some way or cheated on.. its usually not worth it! Everyone goes through this!
    Anonymous

• I've been through one divorce. I left after three years and it was the best decision for the both of us. We were both young and selfish. We didn't care enough about the other's needs to make it work. My husband today and I nearly separated three years ago. We were fighting constantly and had pretty much turned our marriage into one of convenience. I was miserable and as I was trying to figure out where I wanted to go and how I was going to make things work on my own I started to realize that I was just running away from a problem that I hadn't truly tried to fix. So, I approached my husband and told him I wasn't happy. I was very clear and told him if there was any part of him that wanted this marriage to work then we were going to have to go to marriage counseling.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2008