When do I start my 4 month old on baby juices jar and baby food?

I am a new adopting mom of a 4 month old. My daughter is 22 now and I have forgotten when I can introduce baby juices and baby foods. Help?

BamaBunch7

Asked by BamaBunch7 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 4 months old as well and she is on the baby foods. Not juices yet but shes eating carrots sweet potatoes pears and the cereal. but I would talk to her doctor to make sure shes ready :) good luck
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Well they now recommend that you wait until they're six months old to introduce juice & food. That's when their gag reflex goes away, and their digestive systems are developed enough to handle solids. Also, with juice, you don't want to offer more than 4 oz. per day, and always dilute it half with water- you want them to eat their fruit, not drink it. Also, there's really no need to buy the "baby" juice. For instance, the BeechNut apple juice compared to TreeTop apple juice- the only difference is the TreeTop has 1g more sugar per serving, and it's much cheaper.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• 6 months.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• No juice is necessary unless the pediatrician says to try prune juice in formula to regulate the digestive system for constipation. Jar foods also depends, some docs will say start at 4 months and others say 6 months. Although, if there is a reflux problem, they may say start rice cereal at 2 months.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I waited until 6 months to start rice cereal. I think you should wait a bit longer for the juice.
    Anonymous

• when he/she is ready. i started mine at 4 months with no problem, juice at six months.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• This is what I do.... my son started cereal and stage one foods at 4 months (per the pediatrician and w/ hopes it would help w/ his reflux). At almost 6 months he still gets formula and gets 3 meals a day of solids. No juice in bottles but he does get some mixed in w/ his A.M cereal! Congrats on your adoption! Bless your heart!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I always waited till 6 months. I don't do juice anymore as it has almost no nutritional value, and is empty calories.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't think it's a big deal to start before 6 months. If your baby is ready why postpone it? My 3 month old is wanting to eat everything around her and drools all the time, so the pediatrician said we could start now with solids since she is so ready. I don't think I would deprive her of solids for another few months when she is SO ready just because some study said so. I had cereal in my bottle since I was 2 months old and I don't have any allergies or problems.
    Anonymous

• It's recommended to wait until they are AT LEAST 6 months old for solids, and juice isn't really necessary at all, but if you want I guess 7 or 8 months, very diluted with water as a treat now and then.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2008