Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Birth Ceritficate question

My son was born in 2007 at the local hospital here in Grand Rapids, Michigan they did not give us a birth certificate at the discharge(which I thought they were supposed to do) and now we need it to enroll our son in school this fall.

My question is can we call the hospital and get it sent to us or do we have to pay for it? Thanks


Asked by Christmaslver68 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 47 (254,089 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • The hospital BC isn't valid anywhere..

    If you want a sealed one.. you would need to contact the courthouse in the city & state your child was born!

    I had to do this with all three of mine! =)

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • You will need to go to the local courthouse that handles records and at least where I am at, pay for it. Here it is only $5. I didn't get a birth certificate at the hospital, I filled out the forms there and then was mailed the birth certificate.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • You'll have to pay for it, yes. Its around $12..I believe

    Answer by mlmkjw at 12:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • You don't get a birth certificate when leaving the hospital. A Birth Certificate is issued by the state's record's division for a cost.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • they didn't give me any forms to have one mailed to me either

    Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Just go online to our county's website and there should be a link there.
    I've ordered all 5 of my kids' BCs online from 3 different states (MO, IL and PA). I always went to the county site.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 1:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Department of vital statistics is in charge of that, not the hospital

    Answer by JLS2388 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Birth certificates never come from hospitals - they come from the county the child was born in, and most of the time they arrive in the mail when the child is 4-8 weeks old. You can go to the county courthouse and request a copy, it will cost a small amount.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • You have to order the BC on your own, and pay for it.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • really? wow.... you get the BC from the local courthouse recorder of deeds, how would a hospital make a valid BC in 3 days? LOL Sorry but didnt know people didnt know these things... ;)

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011