Am I wrong for having standards as to the school my 6 yr old goes to, kinda long

When I met my dh I had 3 in school and I did not want to move my kids from this town we live in. He has a place out in the middle of nowhere that he was living in when we met. When we got married he moved to my place and we had a baby.
in those 7 yrs. His daughter had his housed trashed it to the point we need to gut it out and redo the house.
dh has a goal in mind to move to this house, which is fine because my son would be close to cousins and here there's nobody his age.

our current town is building a new school, 7 miles away.... the place in the country has a school 23 miles down the road and here is how my sons day would be.
1 hour and 20 minute ride to school on the bus
unload high school kids in one building, then little kids move on to their school
there is no lunch room in the little kids school..lunch is brought in and the kids eat on the gym stage and then run around the gym when they are done.
after school back on the bus for an hour and 20 minutes.

what is better top of the line brand new school, live in town but no kids to play with after school?
or yucky old school, long bus rides, living in the country, cousins live up the road and can play everyday?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would say it depends on the quality of education at the old school.. Is it still up to par? or is it subpar like the facilities? I would go for the school that has the best academics. You can always arrange playdates with the cousins and such on the weekends.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It isn't the facilities, it is the quality of the staff.  If there are great teachers and adequate teaching materials, then eating on the gym floor and a longer bus ride are no biggie.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would not want my kids riding a bus for almost 3 hours/day. My son could have gone to an AG magnet school but it would have been an hour bus ride each way - no kid needs to be sitting for that long, much less on a bus!

Answer by missanc at 1:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My son had a long bus ride to go to a better school and he didn't mind it. His was nearly an hour and a half each way, he just took that time to talk to friends and to get his homework done. I would say really check out the quality of the school (go to www.greatschools.org and you can see the school's rating on a scale of 1-10 and parent/student reviews). If the school is really good quality as far as teaching staff and education, then I would go for it. I would much rather bring my kids up in the country than in the city any day, and having family nearby will be a great experience for him :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I forgot to add my 3 are now out of school and it is just my son
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I tried it and the school is not on their list of schools
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would move to the country. Your DH moved to your house when that is what you wanted. Now it is your turn to move for him.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2011