Why 9 month old is getting up every 45 minutes at night?

My son is getting up every 45 minutes throughout the entire night. He goes down fine, but within 1 hr he's up again. I suspect he is looking for comfort. Also, he now knows how to climb and cruise in the crib, so I have to get there fast if I want to avoid picking him up. He is teething, but Oralgel and cold teethers have made no diff. Tried giving him my shirt to sleep with and even moving the crib next to my bed (we live in a 1 bedrm and have shared rooms since birth). Tried to see if it was hunger but he eats fine (3-4 meals of solids plus 3-4 4ox bottles) during the day and doesn't take the bottle at night. By 5 am I'm almost ready to give in and end up nursing him (with what little milk I have left). He'll then sleep for 1-2 hrs). This all started happening about 2 weeks ago. Ped says I need to do the CIO or some form or sleep training stat, before he gets bigger. Not comfortable with CIO, but am considering it

angelayang

Asked by angelayang at 2:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't let him CIO. He's probably just getting adjusted to the weaning. I'm sure he will get used to it if you just give it a little time.
    Anonymous

• im not a fan of crying it out... but if he just started doing it.. i would. every 45 min is just crazy.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i am in the same boat as you at the moment with my 6 month old......
    I am reading up on sleeping habits because he is teething and needs mommy for comfort i am going to wait this tooth out then start sleep training....I am going to keep checking back see if other mamas have any advice!!!!
    Good luck to you
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 3:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• He slept fine in the crib for the first 6 months. Then a similar situation happen and we broke the "golden rule" and co-slept with him. I have to admit I actually enjoyed it, although everyone was telling me don't do it. I was never against co sleeping, but it worked for us for a few weeks. Then he became more active and for safety reasons we tried to move him in the crib in the past few weeks. Fine during the day for naps, but nights are a work in progress, as you can see. I've weaned him for day feedings, but night ones are harder, as you would imagine. For the past month all the nursing are only for comfort not for hunger. I'm pumping only 1-2 oz now twice a day. In other words, maybe there is just too much going on for this little guy!
    angelayang

Answer by angelayang at 3:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have heard and read that when they are learning a new skill like my little guy is crawling more like scooting his face across the rug the get excited and dont want to sleep.....JUST what i heard and read....Teething plus getting him used to the no night feedings and learning new things can equal out to no sleep for him and us!!
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 4:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008