I cant get my 4 year old to go to sleep at night he stays up till the early morning hours and still gets up early is there anything i can do to help him get to sleep at an early hour?

i have tried having him sleep in complete dark, laying with him till he falls asleep, reading to him, giving him a warm bath right before i put him down for bed and i have run out of ideas what should i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he take any naps?
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• no he is awake all day long
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• or lord my child did this same exact thing when he was 3. i finally had to suck it up one day and keep him up till he begged for sleep and only then did i let him go to sleep. i had to do it a few times to get the schedule back as it should be and. then i kept doing it until he had developed a schedule. he still wakes up at 7 in the morning but it is better than the 3 he was waking up at. good luck girl.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 1:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My 8 year old (adhd and autism) is the same way, and my drs told me to give him melatonin or benedryl.
    RickysGirl411

Answer by RickysGirl411 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Wish I could help. I have a 3 year old that refuses to stay asleep in her bed. About midnight we can plan on her climbing into our bed and no matter how many times we take her back to her bed she still comes right back.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i have tried benedryl but that didnt work it made him hyper
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• How many hours of sleep is he getting??
    My son goes to bed between 8 and 9 and is up at 630 every morning. No naps and he plays hard all day.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• he gets around 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night and has no naps during the day and he plays hard all day long as well
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• That doesn't seem like enough. Even as adults, we are supposed to get 7-8 hours.
    No TV within an hour of bedtime. Try giving him a bath, reading a book or other things to get him to calm down and get ready for bed. Try to have him in bed by 8 or 9pm. Make sure he goes potty before lights out. No getting up, no playing and he has to stay in his room. Tell him you are going to sleep too, even if your sitting in your room. Good luck, I hope you figure something out!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• he definetly needs more sleep time....kids are supposed to get something like 10-12 hours at night.
    my suggestion would be first see his doctor,they can do a s sleep study if neccessary...if thats not a problem then just make a schedule and put him to bed same time everynight....say 8 pm or earlier,he gets up he gets put right back to bed...first week is probably going to be rough on you....you might also want to put up a reward chart to help him stay on track....it really sounds like a power play and you have to win it....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011