Have you gone to the Grand Canyon?

We are trying to plan a trip to the Grand Canyon. Anything I should know? Should we take a tour or is it just as great to drive through ourselves? Where are some good places to stay. What should we bring? Anything we should see or do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Travel

• If you want to stay in the park, plan way ahead. Most places start booking a year out. We stayed in Williams because it was all we could find. It was an hour away, but was fun with gun fights in the evening.

The south rim is a lot busier than north rim, but there is more to do and has more places to walk around and lots and lots of hikes. We hiked in for about a mile (all DH could do with a 3 yr old on his back.)

Check out nps.gov for all sorts of information and guides to any and all national parks and monuments.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i've been to havasupai, which is the indian reservation at the bottom. it's a ten-mile hike to get down there lol. i went with a bunch of people, including a good friend of mine, and we started dating after that. then we got married, and we're expecting our second child. so that's where we started falling in love - i'd recommend it to anyone!
    other than that, i don't know much about it. i would google it, since there are so many different kinds of tours you can take. have fun!!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 1:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Been twice - never done an official tour; however we did take a helicopter ride over and that was breathtaking!

We visited the south rim; I don't know much about the north rim; but unless you are wanting to go down into the canyon (which takes some effort!) you shouldn't need a tour; just a good map from the lodge.

Tips: Get up early and catch the sunrise; and then be sure to be out there at sunset too - the canyon is so different depending on how the light is hitting it!

A little bit of a drive; we loved walking around Sedona; such a great walking artsy town.
    We also went to see Mesa Verde and Montezuma's Castle too

Have fun!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Drive/Walk around and need to be there more then one day to really appreciate the pure beauty if you can I recc taking a helicopter or kayaking.Have Fun. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've been there twice, but it was just like a drive by kind of thing. We went right outside of Flagstaff Az, south rim, I am assuming. We sat and took pics. the first time we got there just as the sun was rising, it was amazing. the next time was in january, and it was FREEZING!!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i flew over the grand canyon as i was on my back to san diego. does that count?
    natD1960

Answer by natD1960 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I've been there one time and that's the last time. We took a tour bus and it took us 4 hours to get there stopped for 2 hours and 4 hours going back. I suggest you take a helicaptor or if you don't mind driving yourself.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I've been there several times. We have never taken a tour. It can get crazy busy with people. I would like to go back in the fall or winter.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• went there when I was about 10 and I never forgot it. It was absolutely beautiful! I agree, see it at sunset or sunrise....there is nothing like it. There were some people hiking, and at one time, you could even ride a donkey down it....which i would never do, lol. seems too scary. but I'd love to take my kids there.
    Also, try and drive through the painted dessert and petrified forest. amazing!!
    another place i would reccoment people go and see is vaquez rocks in california. another beautiful sight.
    take tons of pictures!!!
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 3:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• It depends what your family is into.

I wouldn't recommend a tour, but there are lots of ranger-led hikes and mini-hikes that are great. I do recommend having a car to get to locations throughout the park.

I prefer the South side. The north side of the canyon is where the more sloping and beautiful formations are, and that's what you see from the south rim.

We camped at a KOA outside of Grand Canyon, not in the park itself ((a) we booked late, (b) the park spaces had pit toilets! yikes!). I was afraid it would be hot, but when we went in late May it was great!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 6:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2011