Do the highschools in your area have block scheduling?

Ours do and I think it's really a positive switch for the kids, I was just wondering how popular it is.

Asked by missanc at 1:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in

• some of the districts in my city have block scheduling
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Is block scheduling when a class is an hour and half instead of 45 minutes? 

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 1:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yes - they have 4 longer classes/semester as opposed to 6 or 7 shorter classes.

Comment by missanc (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• They started it the year after I graduated.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Most high schools do block scheduling these days. It does make it harder for the kids in that they are taking what used to be a year long course in a single semester. But it does allow for students in our state to dual enroll, after then turn 16, in both high school and college AND to graduate early if they wish to. And for those students that struggle, it allows space to retake if necessary.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I thought so, I went to DoDD school in Europe and we had block scheduling, 4 different classes every other day. It was good because we really had time to get into class and discussion, but at the same time tortuous if you were stuck in a calls you hated (lol). It was probably nice for the school admin too because students weren't in the halls as much, fewer issues for kids to get into trouble or be late to class.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I had that in high school and it really broke up the week and kept us from boredom but the school district I am in now will be starting it this coming year and it is really a good idea
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Ours does some form of a block schedule but I'm not entirely sure of how it works.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My son goes to a charter high school and he has a really weird schedule that I do not understand. He has A and B days and classes alternate depending on the day. As long as he graduates with decent grades, I don't really care what the schedule it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• All three high schools in our district are on block schedules. As stated by another poster, it does allow for kids who need to retake a class to immediately retake it the following semester. Since they are in class longer each day, they are completely saturated in the content vs. being in there for 45 minutes for the whole year. And it does allow students to dual enroll at a university or community college as upper classmen. We have many students who finish early and enroll at the local community college for the spring semester and then transfer to a four year school in the fall. In addition, it does set them up nicely for a college, semester-based schedule.
    ncbeachmommy

Answer by ncbeachmommy at 3:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

Next question in
For homeschooling moms...

Next question overall (Health)
Is this normal? adult content