S/O If a parent spanks, does that automatically make them a bad parent?

Here is the other question
http://www.cafemom.com/answers/912031/Do_you_spank_your_kids_I_dont_really_see_the_big_deal?cat_id=&order=&next=1

But is that true, do some parents think that others are bad because they spank their kids?
How does that automatically a parent a bad parent?

(I put this in debate just in case)

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My siblings and I (ages 28, 24, 21, and 18) were spanked as children and we never had a trust issue with my mom. We are all very happy adults now and we all have an amazing relationship with my mom. Anony: maybe your parents just did it the wrong way, that doesn't make the rest of us who use spanking as a discipline tool bad parents.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 7:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Doesn't automatically = bad parent just as never spanking automatically = good parent. And vice versa. Never discplining does automatically = bad parent!
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 2:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• All I can tell you is that we spanked our children when they needed it, and today they are every one model citizens, productive members of society, responsible parents, and good managers. They are respectful and law abiding. There is nary a reprobate in the bunch nor are they in any way abusive tormentors of their fellow men and women.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Anything a parent does could make other parents think they are bad parents because they judge too much! You let your kids watch tv? Bad parenting. You let your kids eat junk? Bad parenting. I say parents need to worry about they're own kids and stop judging just to make themselves feel superior! I will parent my kid my way and you can parent your way! That is how it should be!

Anonymous

• Spanking does not make a person a bad parent - it makes them a parent who wants to discipline their kids. I've met plenty of kids who could have benefited from some discipline.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• According to cm law it does. j/k
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• spanking when it is important to do is just fine..spanking because your in a bad mood and your kid is on your nerves and you just don't know any other way other then to be a bully then yeah it's not good parenting
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No. I think it makes them lazy but that is their choice. Much easier to pop a butt than actually teach your child a life lesson. Thanks in advance for the vote downs I realize you can't express your real opinion without them.lol
    Anonymous

• i spank my 3 year old son and i only do enough to get the point across and not to hurt him. Would i spank with a belt/ or another tool of course not because that can hurt. but a little spank on the butt will not hurt unless you do it hard. Plus they remember for the next time like if i run to my friends house with out asking mom i will get a spank, i better not do that. where as if you don't punish for running at a friends house with out asking and just tell him i told you not to go to his house and now you will be in the yard. Do you really think a kid is going to listen to the parent if they just tell them no or they are grounded probably not. But if the same kid were to do something mom or dad said no on and get spanked he probably will listen and not do it again.
    So do i think spanking equals a bad parent no. Bad parent to me means no punishing, abusive physically or emotionally, not caring about your child
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• or what they do.
    2boysyahoo.com