Why is Ron Paul really calling it quits?

Ron Paul announced that he won't seek re-election so that he can focus on his presidential campaign, becuase he's got a good deal of support this time around.

Do you think his age has anything to do with it?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/12/us-usa-campaign-paul-idUSTRE76B4Y120110712

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He won't get elected because of his age. If he gets the nomination Dems will start a whole fear campaign about his age like they did with McCain. Poor Hillary knows she can never run since her party doesn't like anyone over 65. I would vote for Ron Paul unlike some I value older people who have actual life experience. I hope he can beat Obama but it is doubtful since the lemmings in our society will buy into the Dems ads he is old and not worth anything.
    Anonymous

• Why is Ron Paul really calling it quits?

Really? I dunno. Only Ron Paul REALLY knows why. Have you emailed him? ;)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't think he'd give me a different answer than he gave the media. I think he was honest...not only is this his last chance, it's also his most realistic chance. Go big or go home i guess.
    UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• im surprised he's that old. i think he could combat the "hes too old" campaign against him b/c he's already appeared on several "young" shows like Colbert Report & a lot of his followers are in the 18-30 demographic. he has some very radical ideas (that will probably keep him from getting the nomination) and as we saw w/ Obama the younger crowd is all for trying something different (even when its not really different like in Obama's case).

Paul probably doesnt want his House re-election bid to add to the money he will have to spend on the Pres bid. or maybe he's starting to realize that he cant make the changes he wants to see in the House...he needs to be in the White House to make any real change.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Idk, because he needs to focus on the presidential campaign? You can be two places at once. Wasn't that what anti-Palins said?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• If his age was an issue,WHY would he run for President?????
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• His explaination makes sense to me. I love Ron Paul. I think he does well despite his age, McCain just gave me that nutty grandpa feel LOL. If I were him I would probably do the same. Thinking that any real change will have to come from the white house. May as well go after that with everything you got. If you lose, just retire and enjoy the rest of your life knowing you tried to do what you thought was right.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• He isn't calling it quits. He is running for President. I don't even know why he came out and said anything about
    not running for congress again. Don't think you can run for both at the same time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• *can't * be two places...typo. :)))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Did he get redistricted?

I have a thing about age and dementia. Dementia often happens fast and we all know how the presidency ages people. However, I like RP and most of his ideas. i would vote for this man despite his age-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011