Shouldnt breastfeeding/formula feeding be a personal choice?

i remember all these commercials when i was pregnant and after i had my daughter about how i should be breastfeeding her and it felt like they were trying to guilt me into doing something i didnt want to do. i chose to formula feed my daughter because i didnt feel comfortable at all to breastfeed her. i dont condemn other people for choosing to breastfeed their kids so i feel like people shouldnt bother me when i chose formula.( my daughter is 2 now, and is obviously off formula and has been since she turned 1.iwas just thinking about this for some reason.)

even though im not pregnant again (yet) i have already decided that im going to pump and bottle feed, not because i think its better for my child but because i remember how horribly uncomfortable i was after i had my daughter.

what do you think?

mcr17

Asked by mcr17 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• of course its a personal choice. No one else can force either on you. I think it's great you want to pump and feed.. that is a good alternative to just going formula. But that's my opinion -- good luck.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 2:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yeah, the whole heated debate over BF and formula boggles my mind. I've known too many women depressed because they couldn't BF, feeling like they were failing as a mother. As long as the baby is healthy and being fed, great!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Of course you and hubby are the only one who can make that choice. The other info is there to educate you to help you make your decisions. YES there are bf wackos who think you are a criminal if you do not bf lol. Ignore them entirely!
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yes, it is a choice. Something that many people seem to have forgotten.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Grrr Wrong set of buttons

You should ALWAYS do what YOU feel is best for you and your family. Don't let anyone (person or TV) make you feel guilty over your choices.

I've had two kids. I've breastfed two kids. If I ever have anymore kids I'm formula feeding them. My last experience breastfeeding was incredibly painful and I DO NOT want to go through that again. Anyone tries to tell me my choice is wrong I'll tell to go take a long walk off a short cliff.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• it is a personal choice. it is yours and your husbands baby and you both have to decide what you want to feed the baby with. i have two boys and both bottle fed with formula.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It should be and it is. The commentary from people thinking they can make the choice for you - ought to be background noise.

You do what works best for your family. Anyone that feels compelled to tell you why that's right or wrong can be ignored.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• oops, i meant to say "why it's wrong" not "right or wrong." Feel free to listen to people offer kudos. LOL! :)
    ldmrmom

• Yes, it's a personal choice. No one can make you feel guilty. Ignore the commercials, the same way I ignore formula ads in magazines. Do what you want to do and what you feel is best for your family. Everyone else can shove it.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yes there are "breastfeeding wackos" who think you are a criminal if you don't breastfeed. There are also formula feeding wackos who make you feel like a criminal if you breastfeed. All those people on here constantly complaining about women breastfeeding in public are one example. My relatives are another. My sister and SIL both "cut me out" when I went through with breastfeeding my son. I didn't get invited to girl's night out, because I "wouldn't be able to go anyway." They both gave me bottles and formula for my baby shower after I made my desire to breastfeed known because they didn't do it, so why did I think I could? I have been treated like an outsider by them ever since.
    Your choice should be just that: YOUR CHOICE. Don't let anyone influence you. Stand strong on what YOU decide. BTW, I don't care which you choose because it is YOUR choice, not mine :) Good luck! I hope you have people to stand behind you!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011