Sudafed ok to take during pregnancy? (in 3rd trimester)

I've had a lot of congestion in my head (behind my eyes and in ears) and wondered if sudafed is ok? MIL seems to think that it is, but I don't want to take it if it's a no no...and I don't feel like waiting on my doc office to call me back.

brit0813

Asked by brit0813 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It should be fine, just be sure whatever you do take is the non-drowsy stuff!
    something_

Answer by something_ at 2:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• pseudoephedrine sudafed? that's used to make meth.

Sudafed PE is classified as a pregnancy Category C medication, meaning it may not be safe for use during pregnancy. The medication may cause constriction of blood vessels in the uterus, possibly leading to inadequate oxygen delivery to the fetus. Using this drug during pregnancy may also cause dangerously high blood pressure or increase the risk of certain birth defects. If you become pregnant while taking Sudafed PE, talk to your healthcare provider.
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 2:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• This is an approved medications list my doc gave me

http://www.virginiawomenscenter.com/assets/VWC_approved_medications.pdf
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yes, pseudo ephedrine is used to make meth, but they shell hundreds of those pills, and "clean" it in things like ether and lye, etc. It isn't like you're taking meth.

My doctor has told me that the plain, regular sudafed is fine during pregnancy, but no other varieties, and at least in my state, it is one that you have to buy behind the counter at the pharmacy.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i wouldnt risk it
    terrynmel

Answer by terrynmel at 9:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2011