How many couples on here have....

life insurance on each other and or a living will, personal directive, advance directive, advance decision, power of attorney, or health care proxy?

(however you refer to it)

Any advice or information regarding your experience with the process, cost etc...?

geminisummerz

Asked by geminisummerz at 2:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Health

• I do. Cause my Hubby is military. If I die,he gets money. If he dies,I get money.
    CristaJordan

Answer by CristaJordan at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Hubby and I both have life insurance through his place of business. We don't have any of the other things you listed.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Knock on wood,it better not happen to me anytime soon!
    CristaJordan

• DH and I both have life insurance policies, as do the kids (granted, we only have enough on them to cover funeral costs), because DH is military. We don't pay much because ours is done through the military. We also both had wills drafted through the legal office on base, which was free of charge to us. I don't know how much it costs in the civilian world but I think it is well worth it to have both life insurance and a will.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• We used to have life insurance through hubby's job but that ended when his job did. Now we have none on either one of us. We have talked about having a DNR but haven't wrote it up. We have no heirs and the only concern is what would happen to our furry kids, so we really don't see a need for a will.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I do. I have a will setting up a trust, living will, health power of attorney. I update these regularly. I don't have many assets to speak of, but I have sufficent life insurance. I am a paralegal so I drafted these myself and have them reviewed and witnessed by my supervising attorney, who is also a friend of mine. It's actually pretty basic stuff, you get the templates for your state and fill inthe blanks.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 2:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have a life insurance policy, we want my husband to have one but it's too costly at this time. We also have a living will. you can get the program at cost-co for like 60 dollars
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Where is the best place to get these templates? This will walk my husband and I through it ? Do we need a lawyer at some point during this process or how does that work after we fill in the blanks ourselves? Thanks~
    geminisummerz

Comment by geminisummerz (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• We have life insurance on each other and thorough power of attorney documents. We actually used the power of attorney doc my grandfather had done by a lawyer to see the format and did our own at home for free. We have copies on file at our local hospital and with our family doctor, but we have them at home (and both know where they are!) in case we ever need them quickily.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You don't need a lawyer, and they wouldn't look at your document and say its no good because it is not formatted correctly...the most important thing is that what you want is clear, and that they know it was you that wanted it. Notarizing it would help.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011