How do u deal with an almost 5 year old who wont stop wetting the bed....and only does it at home

mommahope77

Asked by mommahope77 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• goodnite underpants
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• What do you mean "deal with"? If you mean discipline, you don't. I doubt they're doing it on purpose, especially a boy. You make sure they use the restroom before bed, you can cut down on liquids an hour before bed, and maybe wake them up in the middle of the night to use the restroom
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• What do you mean 'only does it at home'? Where else is this child sleeping?

You need to cut off beverages a couple of hours before bedtime, and make sure she goes to the bathroom right before bed.

And it is perfectly normal for bed wetting to continue for several years. The bladder still needs to grow.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• He probably won't let himself fall into a deep sleep when he's away from home because he doesn't want it to happen. Buy Goodnights and let him be. It's something his body has to grow into. There is nothing you can do to help it. You can limit drinks before bed, but it doesn't really help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Has he always had a problem wetting the bed, or is it recent? Sometimes if they are going through a major life event or experienced something traumatic they will wet the bed. Has he gotten a new sibling, moved, parents split, family member passed? Anything significant that a 5 year old can't fully comprehend or process could be causing the bed wetting all of a sudden.
    If it's always beena problem, then just put on some good nites or some wahms make absorbent cloth trainers for bigger kids that feel like underwear but will absorb an accident. I raised my little bro and he wet the bed for a while, but he did eventually grow out of it.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would say nothing. My 5-year-old still has to wear pullups at night. She doesn't WANT to wet the bed. It's not a discipline issue, I mean who wants to wake up in the middle of the night in their own urine? It is just something they have to grow into.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 2:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Some children sleep too deeply to wake up before wetting the bed. If it continues, you might want to talk to his/her doctor about it, but at age 4 or 5, I don't think it's that uncommon.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• With my son, we stopped giving him things to drink after 7 and that really helped.
    mommyk741

Answer by mommyk741 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My 9-year-old still wets his bed occasionally. I have used all of the methods listed above. Experience has taught me that using discipline to make a child stop is a no-no. They will actually wet the bed more when they are disciplined. Limiting how much your child drinks does help. I always made sure that my children went to the bathroom before they went to bed. I got them up to use the bathroom before I went to bed, which was about 11 p.m. They need to get up about 5 or 6 a.m. to go to the bathroom. Even then, they still wet the bed. I have a plastic cover for their mattresses and pillows. Children, not only, play hard, but also, they sleep hard (deeply). Most of the time they won't wake up until it is too late. I have tried bribing them. Nothing is fool proof. It is only a matter of time before they stop wetting their beds. I am so sick of washing their bedding. I do what must be done. Just as you will do.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Be patient, stop giving drinks at a certain time, wake your child and take them to the bathroom at night. Your child is probably not wetting the bed on purpose.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011